40:1 or 50:1 two-stroke tools (what to do if you have both)?

I have 40:1 and 50:1 two-stroke tools - which I'm inclined to use the same fuel for all of them.
What do you do given some two-stroke tools are 40:1 while others are 50:1?
a) Do you maintain two separate gas cans? b) Do you make it 45:1 for all of them? c) Do you use 40:1 or 50:1 for all of them?
Note: Tools are chainsaw, hedge trimmer, weed whacker, air blower, etc.
How critical is the exact oil:gasoline ratio anyway?
On 6/15/2011 3:55 PM, SF Man wrote:

if you use a good quality oil like the stihl oil, you can run everything at 50:1. We even run the old lawnboys which were supposedly designed for 16:1 on 50:1 with out problems.
--
Steve Barker
replying to Steve Barker, Bubba wrote: It wont hurt using ONE tank that much. Using fuel that isn't the same ratio will harm the unit. It will carbon up and rings will stick, exhaust will get clogged and the combustion chamber will be full of carbon. 35 years as a factory tech for stihl( gold) ,echo, husqvarna and a master OPE TECH.
On 2/8/2017 8:44 PM, -tc wrote:

Or get Amsoil and mix it at 100:1 for all 2-strokes:
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/saber-professional-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/?code=ATPPK-EA
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 21:17:09 -0500, Grumpy Old White Guy

The most important rule is NEVER create a mix that is "leaner" than the oil is recommended for. Never, for instance, mix 32:1 at 50:1, no matter what the engine specification is.
On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 22:17:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Mix one gallon of gas to one gallon of oil. This will provide plenty lubrication for any and all 2 cycle engines.
SF Man wrote:

I would probably use 50:1 in all of them, and make sure it was really really good oil. Echo or Stihl brand chainsaw oil, or maybe Quicksilver synthetic PWC oil.
For 2-cycle tools that I don't use very often, I've starting mixing fuel in a 500ml pop bottle and measure the oil with a syringe. One tank of fuel for most small engines. If you do the same you could custom mix it for each tool.
-Bob

More oil is better for engine life but many engines run poorly at richer oil mixes. I have a 1984 lawnboy designed for 32-1 and I run synthetic at maybe 40 to 46 - 1. Id say use a good synthetic and see how they run and try one mix
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:08:27 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Yes, I've got a straight-sided jug that I use to do the same, which I marked off for the tank capacities of different tools. Good tip on the syringe; for the oil I've got a little marked-off cup thing which I think came from a tub of laundry cleaner, but the syringe would probably work better.
I think for 50:1 v 40:1 it's "close enough" that it wouldn't matter using the same mix, but I've got a little tiller which likes a lot of oil and runs on 24:1.
cheers
Jules
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 01:41:12 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

Hi Jules,
Thanks for that tip, on top of Bob's suggestion.
I see if I get the right sized jug, I can mark it for the capacity of each tool, and, ad hoc, mix the oil and gas at the time of fill.
Of course, that's a problem with partial fills.
So, I would have to do a behavioral modification (full fills only allowed).
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:43:38 -0700, SF Man wrote:

Yes, that's the main drawback. OTOH, I never know how much I'm going to be using each tool each season, and I don't want leftover mixes sitting around, so I just got into the habit of running them dry before re- filling.
I suppose the jug could be marked for fractions of a tank, too, but that's perhaps more trouble than it's worth :-)
cheers
Jules
replying to Jules Richardson, Bubba wrote: You will burn up it up with your thinking.....its not designed to run with 'close enough' ratio fuel mix. Don't understand why folks want to shortcut stuff ...then it tears up. Then you bring it to me for warranty, and I know that you haven't used the right ratio , when I go through it, and I tell you too bad, and then you get mad. Be smart , not lazy. It will save you time nd aggravation.
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:08:27 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Thanks for that idea Bob. I had not thought of that.
Since the fuel tanks are so very small, that's an option (I'd have to measure each one though and get a syringe, as you noted).
replying to zxcvbob, Bubba wrote: And you would burn it up with a leaner mix...you garage mecahnics are what keeps me fed...but don't tell folks stuff that ruins their equipment.
SF Man wrote:

Hi, For me, I'll settle for 45"1 with best oil you can get.

The secret is to use good 50:1 oil. Never use an oil that is only designed for 40:1 at 50:1 - and PWC oil is not necessarily acceptable, at any ratio, for air cooled power tools. You want AIR COOLED two stroke oil. (they run hotter than water cooled engines)
replying to clare, Bubba wrote: Correct! Finally someone with sense...
replying to Tony Hwang, Bubba wrote: And you will cause a carbon to build up...when it breaks loose it will devistate the engine ..not smart advice.