40:1 or 50:1 two-stroke tools (what to do if you have both)?

Then one would expect the owner's manuals for all the two cycles out there to say if you're using brand X oil then it's 40:1, for brand Z oil it's 50:1 for K oil it's 80:1. I've never seen that, have you?

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Jules Richardson, Samuel Hill wrote: I use trufuel and its premixed and that makes you machines run smoother and starts easier 2 pulls and they are running . I can let the fuel stay in the machine until the next season without a problem because it has no ethanol that causes the hoses and gaskets to deteriorate. This type of fuel keeps your machines out of the repair shops.

Reply to
Samuel Hill

But is it 40:1 or 50:1 or some other ratio?

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Steve Barker, Julio Castro wrote: Look at the JASO rating it will tell you what quality of oil it is. Do not rely on the name brand. Stihl has an oil with a rating of FB. FD is the best rating you can buy. Look for FD in whatever brand is available.

Reply to
Julio Castro

replying to Steve Barker, dobo wrote: I have mixed my 1981 Lawn-Boy "Utility" mower at 50:1 since I bought it new in 1981. I still use it each season and usually starts on 1 or 2 pulls. i.e. compression is good. not my main mower but used for trimming. change spark plug when needed (years a part) (38 years running) !!!! Todd in St. Paul

Reply to
dobo

Poulan Pro company said 40:1 in place of 50:1 fuel mix will not harm 2 cycle engines. EPA controls fuel mix for emissions,just as autos using ethanol at the pump.

Reply to
tech07

I only use true fuel and all my equipment that way there is no mixup. I mark each tool with its ratio. That way it takes all the guess work out of mixing the gas,oil and fuel stabilizer. It also extends the life of the tool. To say least makes startup easier. I don’t have to winterize because there is no ethanol to gum up my lines and carburetors. That alone is enough for me not to mix my gas. Hope this helps

Reply to
Mr.Hill757

Takes the guess work out but Trugas is $32 a gallon. I buy ethanol free gas and add oil and stabilizer and come out at about 5 bucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I looked at that several years ago and saw the price of it.

It may be fine for someone that only has one or two small engines an burns a small can every year or even 2 and nothing else or did not have a good storage area. I might see that for someone that has an electric mower and only uses a weedeater or such for a short time every year.

As I burn through a couple of gallons almost every week or two during the mowing season and a gallon or more of mixed gas every month or so, It would really cost me too much. I could probably pay someone to do the yard work at those rates.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Since I boat, fresh gas is not an issue. I use E-10 but I don't store it. If you go sweet talk any compounding pharmacy they will give you or sell you a 10CC syringe. That works great for mixing small amounts of gas. I have the amount of oil necessary for a tank of gas at the appropriate mix written on each machine with a sharpie. It takes a little effort on the front end but since the tanks are metric these days, not that much math. The easy one is my chain saw that runs 50:1 and it holds a half liter of gas. 10CCs does it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Bet you wish you woulda bought stock in that "stuff" in a can now! Lol.

Reply to
DenimLee