Please reply if you have had problems with Photocell E127584.

Please reply if you have had problems with Photocell E127584.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Sorry, I only had problems with Photocells E127583 and E127585.

Reply to
dennisgauge

I've had to replace everyone of mine. I hate them.

Reply to
Jeff McNaught

If you're still looking, I have a replacement available for $4.50. My company's # is 877-664-5483 Ext. 2230. We are Contractor Lighting & Supply, and my name is Josh. I've sold several of these to replace the E127584, specifically.

Reply to
joshprather33

company's # is 877-664-5483 Ext. 2230.  We are Contractor Lighting & Supp ly, and my name is Josh.  I've sold several of these to replace the E1275

84, specifically.

I used to have troubles with my photo cell on my pole light.....

when I upgraded to CFLs the photo cell problem went away:)

Reply to
bob haller

Yes, I had a problem with E127584. It was in an outdoor light fixture installed by pro electrician. Lamp had GU24 socket base. Bulb was MaxLite GU24 SpiralMax, a flourescent bulb that draws only 13 Watts but produces lumens equivalent to 60 Watt incandescent.

The E127584 shorted out inside it's plactic housing, leaving a 1/2 inch whole. I don't know when it shorted, but it blackened the siding and obviously had the potential for burning down my house.

Based on the posts on the internet, I am not the only one who has encountered this problem. This photocell is a piece of dangerous crap and should be removed from your light fixtures. I snipped it out and wired the fixture without the photocell. I intend to do the same with the other 2 fixtures that have the same photocell.

I also intend to write to RU, the manufacturer, and CCthe lamp manufacturer that was supplied by them.

Andy Goodday.

Reply to
Andy Goodday

Same problem in an outdoor light fixture installed by our builder. Fixture stopped working. Black on siding where E127584 was. Also bulge on unit where it bubbled through. My brother and I rewired it without the part. This part is a danger.

Reply to
Chuck

I had endless troubles with my photo cells, replacing them 2 to 3 times a year.

photo cells dim the light at on and off. this diming with certain fluroscents can take out the photo cell.

and also can be ruined when a incandescent bulb fails going brilliant at end of life. that flash bulb look.

i solved both problems by upgrading to dimable CFLs and am planning to upgrade to dimable Led.

i had planned to install a relay to power the offending fixture, one day i happened to see the flash and found the sensor had failed....

so I tried CFL, but one day saw the bulb flickering dim very brite, and changed the bulb but again found the sensor had failed.

so i went with dimable cfls and havent had a problem since, that must be over 10 years ago...

Reply to
bob haller

where do you find the replacement for E127584

Reply to
Harry

after 1 year and 1 month (no longer under warranty) - now I am stuck with expensive lights that don't work

Reply to
Harry Callahan 13

Yes, obviously got too hot, burned through a wire and sensor has a bulge

Reply to
Bev

have the photocell power a relay. so the photocell only carries very low power..

and use CFLs or LED bulbs. Sometimes incandescents burning out create high power surges when the bulb goes white hot for a moment.

Those damage photocell controls....

Reply to
bob haller

Hmm, How come? relay is switching the power to the bulbs. Relay acts like isolator betweeon cell and 120V. Cell can go bad when exposed to extreme element.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

So the photocell E127584 is a keystone technologies product - I found repla cements at greenelectronics.com when I did a google search for fluorescent photocell replacements. My only problem was that it burned out and the fir st replacement I purchased would have required a bigger hole to be drilled in my light. I was happy to find the same photocell for a Mallorca outdoor light I purchased from Lamps Plus. Lamps plus was worthless when I tried to find a replacement photocell from our local outlet store in North Hollyw ood.

Reply to
gma2003

lacements at greenelectricsupply.com when I did a google search for fluores cent photocell replacements. My only problem was that it burned out and th e first replacement I purchased would have required a bigger hole to be dri lled in my light. I was happy to find the same photocell for a Mallorca ou tdoor light I purchased from Lamps Plus. Lamps plus was worthless when I t ried to find a replacement photocell from our local outlet store in North H ollywood.

Reply to
gma2003

GMA-

One thing to check, is if your light has a short circuit. That is one reason it might have burned out the original photocell.

I was not able to find any information about your E127584. What diameter is the mounting hole for your old one?

I found two photocell light controllers at Lowes. One is intended for an outdoor pole lamp, and is probably not what you are looking for. Its body mounts in a 1 3/8" hole, and a gasket is provided to seal against a round pole.

The other is much smaller and mounts in an approximately 7/16" hole. It might fit a 3/8" hole with a little reaming. I bought one to add a light control to an existing outdoor fixture. I lost the paperwork, but it may be the one at .

There is a similar one mounted on a wall plate at .

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I USED to have photocells burn out / fail a lot, till one day I saw my inca ndescent bulb go white hot burn out, so I replaced the bulb but the photoce ll was dead:( But at least I had a idea of what was killing them:)

So I replaced the photo cell AGAIN but tried a CFL instead of the incandesc ent....

that photo cell is going strong perhaps 5 or 8 years old. I did lose a coup le CFLs the photo cell causes a diming effect that killed CFLs. so I used t he more expensive dimmable CFLs but about a month ago upgraded to a LED bul b. 10 watts power used for 60 watts of nice brite white light.

I have a timer thats making a grinding sound on this circuit, I had it set to be light on from 6AM till midnite, and the photocell only lights the bul b when its dark.

but with the bulbs power usage so low, it may well exceed the running watts of the timer....... how wierd is that?

when I get ambitious I will check this out. may toss the timer in the trash its done its job for perhaps 20 years.

I really like the light quality of the LED, and plan on replacing as many b ulbs around here as possible once I confirm the LED is durable

Reply to
bob haller

I thought about having the photocell power a relay, which would solve the OPs problem

Reply to
bob haller

Hello,

Yes, I had the same problem as you. But no worries, the new, improved, part number is Keystone PS-80-1 which is made by the same company UR and it IS the exact replacement for E127584. You can Google "Keystone PS-80-1" And, h ere is a link to the technical sheet where I purchase my replacement part:

sherydataylor

I have 4-E127584 photo cells go bad after 2 years. I purchased what I thought was a replacement, Keystone: KTPS-45-1, but they did not work. I live in Miami and have 12 outdoor lights with solar photocells. I have resorted to a wall timer switch. Sad!

Reply to
RetiredinMiami