Please reply if you have had problems with Photocell E127584.

replying to Molly Brown , Richard Banville wrote:

I have had an outside light for 5 Years. All of a sudden the light quit working. I put a meter on it and there was power going to the photo cell, when I would cover the photocell I could hear a clicking sound but there was no power going to the light bulb.
My pole light photocell failed often. one day i saw a bulb burn out with that white hot incandescent burn out.
i replaced the bulb, and the photcell was dead.
i thought about adding a relay, but then changed to led bulbs. cut power cost:) ended having to replace bulbs, when the led finally dies i probably wouldnt ever have to replace the light sensor,
however my light sensors glass window must not be glass, must be plastic, its getting cloudy and in any low light situation, it turns the pole light o
so i will replace the sensor again
replying to bob haller, FrankieV wrote: You state that you have several of 'these' to re;place E127584. I have five outdoor light fixtures that use this photocell. If you know this part, you are aware the it is mounted through a small hole with a threaded cap. Does your part fit have the same dimensions as E127584 so that it can be a direct replacement? Can you provide a picture with dimensions (a data sheet)?
replying to Richard Banville, Mel wrote: Where can I purchase E127584 part?
On Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 11:40:56 AM UTC-8, Molly Brown wrote:

I have four street lamp posts, about 5 years old, and one of the E127584 photocells was losing sensitivity, turning the lamp on when overcast, but still mid-day.
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 14:17:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Check to see if the plastic lenses on the photocell has discolored from UV rays. This has happened to a couple of my photocells and I used plastic headlight polishing compound on them and that did the trick.
replying to Molly Brown, T wrote: Yes. This photocell did not last. Now I am not sure how to purchase a photocell that will fit. Or do Inhsve to buy a whole new light fixture.
replying to Molly Brown, Sam wrote: Just installed 3 lights with E127584. A slight power surge ( turn circuit breaker off then back on ) burnt up all three .
I USED to have photocells burn out all the time.........it was a real PIA....
one day i saw the photocell turn on the poll light, which instantly the light went white hot and burned out a new bulb didnt help.........
i replaced the photo cell and a new LED bulb/.
that ended to burned out photocell trouble:)
the high inrush current of incandescent would take out the light sensors. I was so tired of this hassle i thought about adding a power relay to feed the bulb
but the LED bulbs dont burn out and use nearly no power
Fed up. I took’em off, back to a good old handswitch !
replying to Molly Brown, Ray D wrote: Greetings, my photocell of that model caught fire last week. It had been in use approximately 8 years.
replying to Molly Brown, reubweis wrote: One of my E127584 photocells shorted
On Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 11:40:56 AM UTC-8, Molly Brown wrote:

I had problems with mine and they are used at a storage Facility. Poor quality.
replying to Molly Brown, Mike wrote: yes, have one now that's bad

Mike-
This thread has been continued since February, 2012.
Among the suggestions, replacing the lamp's bulb with a low powered equivalent (LED or CFL) is part of the solution. I chose LED over incandescent, but am still using my original Halogen outdoor light. The bulb is 17 years old and the photocell was recently replaced for the first time.
When replacing your photocell, you may have to take what you can find that fits the E127584 mount.
Fred
replying to Molly Brown, Patsy wrote: had light 7 months and stopped working. wired it without the photocell.
replying to Molly Brown, Andre Pichly wrote: Installed an exterior LED porch light with this photo cell about 11 months ago, but it is no longer working.
Condo has 24 exterior lights with this photocell in them. Installed about 4 years ago. So far five photocells have failed. I don’t know the ex pect lifetime is for photocells but thought it would be longer than that.

Sounds about right. There may be higher quality ones available, but any that I bought from a big box store never went more than about 5 or 6 years.
Given the failures so far and potential for more, I'd certainly look for an industrial grade.