If you had $2500 to spend on tools?

Let's just say I had about $2500 to spend on my starter shop, what would people buy. Here is what I have

Power Tools. A craftmsan 10" table saw with a crappy fence and a burnt out 1HP motor. A Floor length drill press. No problems thus far. New Hitachi Compound Miter saw. Ryobi router ROS, Belt Sander, palm sander A few drills. A old scroll saw that I've never used. A tiny old, old shop vac.

Hand tools: A nice Lei-Neilson dovetail saw The normal things like hammers, screw drivers, etc. A record low angle block plane. A old Stanley Jack plane that needs a new blade, and maybe a new frog. A decent collection of bar clamps 24"-6' Well see what my wife gets for christmas. I've asked a bunch of basic woodworking hand tools to round out the collection( sharpening stones, compound bevels, marking gauge, etc)

Now that the table say motor is dead I'm thinking of replacing that with a cabinet saw. I'd like to see a 6" jointer, 14-17" bandsaw, planer, and maybe a dust collector in the shop. That is about all I have room for. Any other large tools like drum sanders would probably share space on a mobile cart with the planer. The shop is about

20'x10'
Reply to
Scott Lindars

[...]

Problem posting. Ignore this thread. A 2nd one was posted

Reply to
Scott Lindars

What is the going rate for clues in your area? :-)

-J

Honestly I would order a new Table Saw (your choice) ..most likely a Grizley Cabinet Saw since you have that in mind ..and I would DO that NOW .... (got 220 out in the shop?) you will need it sooner or later... Withe a 10x20 shio I would be ordering a mobile base for the thing NOW also...

You MAY need a Bandsaw... a Joiner ..and maybe a 13 in planer...BUT wait a few months before buying one... Get out in the shop and use what you have make some sawdust...THEN think of what you really really needed....then what your realy really would have liked to have had.... GO GET IT... (may even be a simple cordless drill that you may use more as a screwdriver then a drill...who knows...or cares...But what YOU Really really would have loved to have in the last few months...

Repeat that process for a year or two...and you will have what you need...UNLESS you discover you do not really like woodworking... . Years ago (in the 60's I started putting 15 bucks a week into MY personal "tool" fund....and someweeks the diaper bill etc cut that to only 5 bucks ...but every week something went into that fund...come hell or high water...

Today I am retired...and I am thinking about selling the house... the shop & most of "larger machines included...and moving SOUTH..

I would spend a lot of time constructing my DREAM...shop BUILDING before I even though about replacing my machines...

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.