Flooding and electric cars

Had to go out yesterday morning but on our return trip many of the roads we had to travel were already flooding and a number of cars were already comi ng to grief. Fortunately the Kuga managed to negotiate everything although within the hour all these roads became impassable. It did occur to me how w ould electric cars cope particularly with the tendency to mount batteries u nder the floor. It is one thing to protect connections from the normal spra y generated in wet conditions and quite another when things get a good dunk ing. Anyone with any experience of driving an electric car in these conditi ons?
Richard
On 10/02/2020 09:58, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Well apparently all sealed so better than conventional cars:-
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1206329/flood-uk-water-electric-cars-ev-jaguar-tesla-bmw
http://tiny.cc/1n1sjz
Elon musk claims some of the Teslas will float..
https://www.greencarfuture.com/electric/driving-through-flood-water
Dave

Most cars these days will float. During the disastrous floods of 2004 at Boscastle in North Cornwall, some 80 cars were washed out of the car park and a good many made it out to sea. It was reported that the RNLI were checking cars floating off the coast to make sure there were no occupants. Several had their windscreen wipers working, turned on automatically by the 'wet windscreen' detectors. There's a video half way down here, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-28523053 showing a load of cars gaily floating past the cameraman.
--

Chris

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:52:54 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

WTF was that circuit energised without the ignition ?
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:06:08 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Good question. I did wonder as I typed it. I vaguely recall something about emergency flashers working as well. But they were floating in sea water, very conducting so perhaps a short circuit?
Or perhaps someone just made it up!
--

Chris

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 18:02:17 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

The hazard lights are taken from a permanently live feed (obviously). But no reason for the wipers to be. In fact, given the gearing in some mechanisms I can see a non-switched wiper circuit taking a finger with it should the self-parking kick in unexpectedly.

I doubt that ... (my first thought was "bollocks").

Much more likely. A bit like Hillary Clinton having to dodge the bullets when she flew into Bosnia.
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 19:07:23 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Another bit of film here. Cars certainly float - vans, people carriers, caravans, the lot!. Can't see any flashers or wipers going, but the resolution isn't good enough anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Fy6dYRp5w
--

Chris

writes

And the author has zero experience of anything to do with driving cars through water.

--
bert

I guess it depends on how conductive the water is and what the control electronics and motors do if they get wet. I doubt there would be a major failure as the batteries are protected from catastrophic run away failure, but I often wonder how insurance might view it, ie Electric car, driving through a flood, how stupid... grin. Brian
--
----- --
On Monday, 10 February 2020 10:17:26 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

not very

a) electronics: go haywire if not sealed b) slow down & corrode if unsealed

a lot of insurance claims are, some famously so.
NT
On Monday, 10 February 2020 09:58:20 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:

we had to travel were already flooding and a number of cars were already co ming to grief. Fortunately the Kuga managed to negotiate everything althoug h within the hour all these roads became impassable. It did occur to me how would electric cars cope particularly with the tendency to mount batteries under the floor. It is one thing to protect connections from the normal sp ray generated in wet conditions and quite another when things get a good du nking. Anyone with any experience of driving an electric car in these condi tions?

I have electric car. Batteries are low down bu electronics high up. No problems so far. I did find this about my car,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmgRuhqba0I

On Monday, 10 February 2020 15:48:22 UTC, harry wrote:

s we had to travel were already flooding and a number of cars were already coming to grief. Fortunately the Kuga managed to negotiate everything altho ugh within the hour all these roads became impassable. It did occur to me h ow would electric cars cope particularly with the tendency to mount batteri es under the floor. It is one thing to protect connections from the normal spray generated in wet conditions and quite another when things get a good dunking. Anyone with any experience of driving an electric car in these con ditions?

More info here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-56UJ2H2I

On 10/02/2020 15:48, harry wrote:

Cat can has cheezburger.