More on electric cars.

Drove an electric car today. Uncanny experience but good. http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/technology.aspx
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/09/12 18:40, harryagain wrote:

... and the batteries last how long and cost what to replace?
Andy C
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well it sez a 93 mile range which I suppose would suit me a lot of the time but anything else its just that if I say decide or have to go to London then I must know were there is a charging point or for any other long journey.
Its a nice idea especially the transmission but until we get that ideal liquid powered fuel pack it'll have it wait.
Just also thinking here it'd be fine for home charging but there are a lot of places where when you park it on the street even tho your home is nearby, still no charging at home for you and then you'd need to rely on charging elsewhere if you can find a point and don't mind waiting..
Problem is there still not practical for most drivers....
--
Tony Sayer

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:30:56 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

My round trip working tommorow will be >110 miles. Monday's is around 240.

I'd need to know where there are 4 if not 5 fast charging points along the route, on the basis that the fast charge only gets to 80% in 30 mins.

Yep, barely enough range to do the weekly shop.
I can think of several cars I'd much rather have for the £28 grand they want for that.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Then buy an Ampera
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:42:30 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

That only makes 25 to 50 miles on battery. The *up to* 310 miles comes from an on board petrol generator.
It's also too close to the ground, bit of snow and it would be stuck trying to be a snow plough. In fact it looks so close to the ground a decent speed bump might give a problem.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Liquorice wrote:

Plenty of people have a regular commute less than 25 miles, but need more range often enough that a pure electric car isn't enough. But at around Β£30000, you could buy a cheaper ordinary car and a lot of petrol.

Yes, it would handle my commute fine, the trips up a forest track in North Wales most holidays not so much.
But there's no inherent reason a hybrid has to be like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander#Hybrid But it's not a plug-in hybrid, and it's not sold in the UK.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 14/09/2012 11:21, Alan Braggins wrote:

I was using an Auris Hybrid (which is sold in the UK) on snowy Norwegian mountain roads back in February :-)
(though I preferred the diesel Yaris the year before, even though I took off a bit of trim on some deep snow. Easy enough to fix fortunately. The chirruping of the traction control was amusing too.)
(not plug-in either, obviously)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wonder how the batteries fare in very cold weather?
--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

βœ–
In article

Quite. I've talked to colleagues in the film business who have shot in very cold climes. They keep all the equipment batteries indoors - sometimes even in their sleeping bags. So we can look forward to lots of electric cars littering the roadways (if they ever become common) on the first really cold day of the year.
--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Actually POWER is reduced.
Generally the batteries soon get hot enough all by themselves..
--
Ineptocracy

βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Carp mostly.
Its a chemical reaction. Most reactions get very poor and slow at low temps.
The bottom line is that we don't have a better way of storing and using energy in an oxygen rich atmosphere than carbon based fuel.
--
Ineptocracy

βœ–

That's right. Energy density is all. A fact not appreciated by green-twerps who expect everything to be power-able by an AA battery.
--
Tim

βœ–
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:05:22 +0100, Tim Streater

Oh, there's an easy demonstration that shuts them right up. Ask them to pedal a bicycle-driven genny for a while, to power something like a humble laptop.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

actually that works. Its when you want to boil a kettle...
--
Ineptocracy

βœ–

Around 80 of them required to do that. There was a prog on the telly a few years ago demonstrating just how much power we used these days...
--
Tony Sayer

Add pictures here
βœ–

In the science museum theres a hand cranked genny to power a 30 watt light bulb. That'll make most sweat a bit for more then a minute or so;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah, now there's a thought! Well done that man.
--
Tim

βœ–
Dave

Prices will come down for sure as the competition hot up. What you save on petrol over a year will go a hell of lot towards the cost. It is NOT £30K to buy.
Ordinary cars are complex, and prone to breakdowns, while the Ampera is simple.
Add pictures here
βœ–
for-mail.invalid> scribeth thus

Don't worry the guvvermint will soon find a way of taxing that power perhaps we'll see AC and DC "fuels" and differing rates of taxe on them;!..
Battle of the currents all over again..

If you say so .. that may have been true when Red Robbo lorded it at BL all those years ago, but these days?..
--
Tony Sayer

Add pictures here
βœ–