Electric car.

I now have an electric car. A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book. Eg, it has a radiator.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:37:18 AM UTC, harry wrote:

Has it got solar panels on the roof ? Simon.

and pedals?
Jim K

The solar panels are on my house roof.
Or a wind turbine? Brian
On 7/02/2013 5:58 a.m., Brian Gaff wrote:

A wind turbine on the roof can generate enough power to drive the car - in fact the faster you go, the more power, therefore the faster ... positive feedback.
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

what make/model?

--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

Riiight.
Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.
That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg, and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics. Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy. You can sneak up on people. But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,
harry wrote:

How much is a new battery?
Bill

There are two new diseases with electric cars. Range anxiety. And I hope my bttery won't deteriorate/fail anxiety.
The rumoured current price for a new battery is 15K Supposed to fall in the future?
The battery is supposed to have 80% of it's capacity in 10 years if you treat it right. It has forced air cooling for when on charge. There have been problems in very hot/very cold climates.

Fark, you paid that for the whole car.

Bet it doesnt.

We'll see...
Very few used in power tools do when used as often as you use a car.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:11:50 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

At least you admit it. B-)

Will the traction battery last that long and how much does it cost to replace? How much will electricity als go up? I'm sure you'll have to use the grid some of the time.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Its already been used for a year or so too.

Enough to give him a heart attack hopefully.

Nothing like by that much, I bet.

Sure, but he does have that subsidised by the stupid price that is paid for from his PVs.

Bet it doesn't.

I read somewhere that 2nd hand prices are rock bottom.
--
bert

On 07/02/13 14:52, bert wrote:

Like laptops, and power tools, once the battery is dead the rest is pretty useless and expensive to repair..
--
Ineptocracy

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:58:21 PM UTC, Adrian wrote:

it

From which we conclude that harry isn't doing this to save himself money based on today's prices.
So either he thinks electricity prices are going to rise massively (possible alhough personally I don't think so), or he values saving thl planet above his own pocket (in which case I salute him).

All that will happen if electric powered cars take off big time is that the government will tax leccy use for cars owing the fall in revenues from fossil fuels caused by that.
I believe its happened somewhere in the USofA already;(...
--
Tony Sayer