Electric car.

I now have an electric car. A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book. Eg, it has a radiator.

Reply to
harry

Has it got solar panels on the roof ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

what make/model?

Reply to
John Rumm

and pedals?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

So, from flat battery state, how long to recharge to full using your solar generation alone? It would be interesting to know the answer by, say, season. Approximations and averages accepted.

What range would that give you?

How do you heat it in winter?

Reply to
polygonum

In article , harry writes

A second hand Sinclair C5?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;>)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox points?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for the AA.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

nah just pedal faster Mrs H, "fx whipcrack"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Even when the battery's flat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, a design flaw.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

ha!

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Maybe not. At least some electric vehicles require diesel or other "fossil" fuel to run their heaters. So they might work with flat battery.

Reply to
polygonum

Oil filled?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Why am I not surprised.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager

Harry: are you sure its an electric car, and the salesman didn't simply see you coming and sell you a hybrid?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The solar panels are on my house roof.

Reply to
harry

harry

From completely discharged it takes around eight hours from a domestic socket. Or 20minutes from a fast chargesocket to 80% full.

The charge rate is 2Kw. (for all but the last half hour. I drove about 20 miles yesterday, it took about 2 hours to recharge. It was sunny today, soI charged it completely from solar power. The panels were doing almost fulloutput because it was sunny cold and windy. Won't be possible all the time but I don't have to recharge straight away, I can sometimes wait 'til the sun shines. The max range is 83 miles,Depends on how hilly & how fast your drive. Also how you adjust the regeneration.

Reply to
harry