Electric car.

The windshield will contribute something to that same structure, iwt. Not good. I bet it's like a wibbly-wobbly toy when the stresses are just right.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Good man, Harry. See, you're not a complete arse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I think you'll find it needs a bigger battery than that ... ;)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Given that 70% if a cars engine output is heat, its a huge amount to add to a relatively efficient electrical setup.

One can imagine people dying of cold stuck in snowdrifts in their eco cars.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you get cold, you could always push the car ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I read somewhere that 2nd hand prices are rock bottom.

Reply to
bert

It's for get-you-home mode

Reply to
bert

Like laptops, and power tools, once the battery is dead the rest is pretty useless and expensive to repair..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I took it as being for "South of England to North of Scotland" mode!

Or even, "to the next town" mode.

Reply to
polygonum

Goes up our local hill (1:8) at 40+mph

Reply to
harry

20kVA should be fine, unless you intend to go at high speed down a motorway. Don't forget that's continuous, while the motor rating is peak.

Whether you regard 49kW as enough when there's half a ton of batteries underneath is another matter.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So in reality then not a lot of cop when you need it most;...

Reply to
tony sayer

That's odd, because a little 1KW Honda generator in the boot would be a life-saver in some situations. If I could afford such a car, I'd probably make sure that any generator was well-regulated, but I'd want one.

Reply to
Windmill

Presumably this refers to the 'Dreamliner'. Didn't they move development from Redmond or thereabouts to Chicago? I doubt that was a helpful change, and before it went into service an airline pilot told me it was a lemon. Of course they'll eventually fix all the bugs, but it might never be regarded as a good plane.

Reply to
Windmill

Realistically there should be a small oil tank and an oil-burning heater, though that would be anathema to a purist.

I have a vague notion that some early Beetles sold into the Canadian market were so equipped. BICBW.

Reply to
Windmill

En el artículo , Windmill escribió:

Yes.

Mike Tomlinson

But it would take forever to charge the battery. Be far quicker to phone for a tow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm always curious about claimed mileage on electric cars. What effect doe s using the heater/heated rear screen/air conditioning/radio etc have on th is claimed mileage. Someone mentioned a heater fuelled by diesel. Is this a common thing on the se vehicles ? (Anybody else remember the Volkswagen K70. Had a heater which could be run on petrol i.s.t.r.)

Reply to
fred

Umm.. just how far and fast would 1 kW move or take you?...

Reply to
tony sayer

fred wrote: [snip]

Eberspacher heaters and Truma heaters are common fitments to boats, trucks and motorhomes. They work as described on diesel or propane, propane is probably slightly "greener" and there's a refilling infrastructure in place.

Reply to
Steve Firth