Electric car.

Some years ago, when visiting colleagues at what was then Asea, they explained that, if you were in the works car park in winter, about 30 minutes before finishing time, you could hear car heaters firing up on timers, ready for the homeward run.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

depends. Its about 4 blokes pushing..slightly over a horsepower.

Of course it will take you as far as it lasts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An engine would be handy for the odd long journey. It doesn't particularly need a generator though:-

I wonder how it handles on corners...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It draws 2.2Kw on charge. About an hour's charge for every ten miles. You don't have to charge it completely to get mobile again.

Reply to
harry

does using the heater/heated rear screen/air conditioning/radio etc have o n this claimed mileage.

hese vehicles ? (Anybody else remember the Volkswagen K70. Had a heater whi ch could be run on petrol i.s.t.r.)

Big effect. I went on a run yesterday with the heater on full belt. I estimate it cut the range by about a quarter.

Reply to
harry

One KWh takes you about five miles@ 40mph.. Less on hills and going faster or with the heater/AC on.

Reply to
harry

It is quite good. Low C of G independent suspension all round. Small wheels, high tyre pressures, you feel the bumps a bit. Front wheels very narrow,probably tyres not last long.

Reply to
harry

thesehttp://www.hss.c=

Sounds like you are talking about a mobility scooter there.

Reply to
Old Git

Are not Airbus having problems with composite wings cracking?

Reply to
alan

Haven't heard of that one..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not AFAIK. There's a minor problem with cracks appearing in an alloy wing component - apparently they chose the wrong one - and since it's a small component used all along the wing one crack after a few years flying it isn't a major problem anyway.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Doesn't make a lot of difference. Li battery fires are very difficult to put out as the battery contains enough oxygen to sustain the fire. So smothering doesn't work. The reactions are strongly exotermic so trying to remove the heat is difficult and the fuel is the battery itself...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A couple hundred watts would push a cycle along at about 15mph without much trouble

Reply to
dennis

When we were using lithium cells we had bags of carbon granules to smother a lithium fire, maybe harry need a couple of hundred weight of coal in the boot?

Reply to
dennis

Take two lithiums, bang 'em together, and you get coal...

Isn't that the basis of di-lithium crystals and coal-powered warp engines?

Reply to
polygonum

It may be thought that I'd be very dismissive of the electric car but not so. All it needs yet is a prime power source that doesn't involve burning fossil fuels etc, making electricity transmitting that over long distances converting it back into chemical energy and then back into electricity ...

Does the team think that storage batteries as we know them are never going to be the right way to go about this?..

Course I expect the doctor to be along with ultra super dooper ultra again Capactive stores which are going to enable 200 mile plus runs now;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

thesehttp://www.hss.c=

You certain about that harry?...

How many kWh does your battery hold?..

Reply to
tony sayer

yes. sadly, cos I'd LOVE a leccy car, the energy density of the BEST material for batteries - lithium - is still an order of magnitude less than a tank of diesel.

well it will be dribble.

The problem for cars and aircraft is two fold: first of all getting adequate energy density and secondly doing it SAFELY.

And as an added extra cheaply and efficiently.

To date we simply don't have storage other than fuel - chemical fuel - that meets all those requirements.

I'd say we are more likely to see fully synthetic fuel made from off peak nuclear power in 4 decades than a decent battery.

If you look at it rationally from a proper engineering perspective of fuel costs continue to rise exponentially you can see that

- air travel is going to get very expensive

- car travel is going to get very expensive

- ship travel will switch to nuclear.

- surface travel will have to switch to rail.

- last ten miles CAN be done by BEV.

But that's as good as it gets. And it will NECESSITATE a switch to a

*lot* of nuclear power to make sense.

And a lot of public perceptions about nuclear will have to alter too.

If they don't, its curtains for civilisation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

thesehttp://www.hss.c=

10-12 from memory.

at 40mph 5 miles is an eighth of an hour, which is therefore 8Kw, and that's around about 6bhp.

Very achievable speed on that amount of power.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sixteen.. You are forgetting about regeneration. Kinetic and potential energy is recovered. But not of course friction. The main loss is drag. (Air) The alternator is reckoned to be 85% efficient

Reply to
harry