Electric car.

From which we conclude that harry isn't doing this to save himself money based on today's prices.

So either he thinks electricity prices are going to rise massively (possible alhough personally I don't think so), or he values saving thl planet above his own pocket (in which case I salute him).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

All that will happen if electric powered cars take off big time is that the government will tax leccy use for cars owing the fall in revenues from fossil fuels caused by that.

I believe its happened somewhere in the USofA already;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

That would certainly be the case if you were in a city.

Reply to
Windmill

At last - a way to store wind farm power while the wind blows, and return it when it's calm. All electric cars required by law to store then return power to the grid if they're not in use.

The thought of a short in a terafarad capacitor horrifies me.

Reply to
Windmill

Grimly Curmudgeon

Both.

Electricity prices will go up to pay for the Nuclear power stations construction. Also they will be foreign owned,we will end up paying foreign investors. Nuclear power will cost more than renewable energy.

The gov will make sure it gets upfront money allegedly for decommissioning. However, they will not use it for this, a future labour gov will fritter it away on benefits for the idle. So it will cost even more in the end.

The green eco-warrior credentials for electric cars are somewhat questionable due to new mining for the exotic materials that go into them. Lithium. rare earths etc. Though they should be recoverable/recyclable.

I am thinking of a bumper sticker for my car. A Jap rising sun flag with the missive "solar powered car". Or maybe "nuclear powered". Both would be true.

Reply to
harry

I bet they're thinking about it over here too.

Reply to
harry

I think plans are afoot in Japan to do exactly that. You can already buy a "Power Station" for my car to run your house off the battery.

Reply to
harry

harry wrote: [snip]

I bet that sells well to the stupid.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bullshit. Electricity prices are already rising sharply to pay for windmills and solar panels.

Bullshit. Windmills are costing us five times as much as nuclear.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

"The Vehicle Miles Travelled tax, or VMT".....

Suppose it will catch on here too oneday;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thats a Brill idea Harry!..

A "Nuclear powered" bumper sticker, that'll keep the tailgators at bay:)

What don't you make 'em?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Only if you believe moving the pollution elsewhere is saving the planet.

The Chinese will just be burning tons more coal to met demand for solar panels and batteries.

As for using his own money, who is supplying the £5k subsidy on the car and the inflated purchase price for solar panel power? You are, in higher taxes and your electricity bill being 10% higher than it needs to be!

Reply to
alan

On 10/02/2013 09:15, harry wrote: ...

Using cradle to grave figures, nuclear costs about the same as coal per TWh generated. Onshore wind costs about twice as much, while offshore wind costs about three times as much and that assumes the wind generators produce what the manufacturers claim, which actual figures suggest is very optimistic.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Its not that bad, you charge the car at work so you don't pay. You run your home off the battery when you get home so you don't pay.

Just right for harry.

Reply to
dennis

Its called road pricing over here.

Reply to
dennis

The important difference is that nuclear will *work*, whereas renewables don't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
harry

Reply to
harry

Nah Nah. I charge my car off the solar panels and get paid twice in effect.

Reply to
harry