Furnace: electric ingition sparks but won't light gas.

My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the gas... unless I blow on it! Then, as soon as I blow on it, the gas lights and the furnace works fine. However, this never lasts long. Once the gas turns off, it's the same problem all over again. The ignition sparks but won't light. It will ignite if I blow on it (was just an accident that I blew on it but it worked.)

Thoughts, anyone? My landlord can't figure it out either.

Thanks,

*m
Reply to
Sneaky Mandy

My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the gas... unless I blow on it! Then, as soon as I blow on it, the gas lights and the furnace works fine. However, this never lasts long. Once the gas turns off, it's the same problem all over again. The ignition sparks but won't light. It will ignite if I blow on it (was just an accident that I blew on it but it worked.)

Thoughts, anyone? My landlord can't figure it out either.

Thanks,

*m
Reply to
Sneaky Mandy

Hi, Once gas is lit, is the flame good? I mean normal. You may have improper gas flow of the ginitor is positioned wrong.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

yes, once it's lit, it's fine... i have my upstairs neighbor's furnace next to it with which to compare, runs just great. only problem comes when it hits the set temperature and winds down. when the temp falls in the house and the thermometer tells it to kick in, if i'm not there to blow on it (which clearly i'm not), the ignition will fire indefinitely and the gas won't light.

T> > My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the

Reply to
Sneaky Mandy

obviously a problem with the pilot or pilot assembly.... you need a gas man to come look at it...only he can check for proper pressure and determine if the orifice needs cleaning and or replacing....

you need a repairman.... fooling around with the pilot is dangerous....it is a safety device....

call the gas company...they wont charge you an arm and a leg to repair this minor problem...

Reply to
cornytheclown

Hi, Try to adjust the position of ignitor so it can be closer to the gas stream. You are blowing to direct the gas to the spark I think.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Could be a clog in the orifice that feeds the gas to the igniter. Could be low gas pressure. If a simple light brushing of the gas opening does not fix the problem, call for service and have a pro look at it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your landlord doesn't need to figure it out, he/she needs to call someone to fix it IMO.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Sneaky Mandy posted for all of us...