More on electric cars.

Only by using the fossil fuel engine to keep the battery charged. In which case, why not just use a simpler internal combustion engined vehicle?

Reply to
John Williamson

Were those figures posted by dribble? Do you get free parking with a guaranteed spot where you need it? And with a charging point? I somehow doubt it. And you'll still have to sit in that traffic jam - but without the benefit of decent air con or heater.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Filthy IC engines have to be eliminated from cities.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nonsense. An Ampera only has a genny engine. NO transmission.

Simple stuff. Mainly an ECU.

Modern hybrid buses are crap. Look at the supercapacitor busses in Shanghai.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are very slow. As the name implies, "hybrid". Full EV in cities and when you go long distance occasionally the car runs on the genny and still gets 60mpg.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I went in one. Fantastic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So it uses a generator to drive an electric motor. Brilliant. Most makers abandoned that idea in the 1920s as it was too complex and unreliable. The Pious, on the other hand, which is more typical of hybrid cars, has an automatic gearbox and a load splitter. And the most polluting batteries on the road.

Say that again *after* you've worked on one and got it going after a breakdown.

Which can just about make it from one stop to the next. At least our hybrids can go a whole day without running out of power.

Damn, I've been provoked into replying to Drivel again. Back in the KF you go...

Reply to
John Williamson

And I can get 70mpg on a run in a number of small cars without the extra costs of the hybridity. If I want to drive more than 60 miles or so in an Ampera, I need to run the engine all the time once the battery goes flat. I also need to plug the Ampera in every night, whereas at the moment, I fuel up my car once a month.

Reply to
John Williamson

Given you don't know one end of a car from the other...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite right. Ban the Prius and all hybrids.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BFD. 60mpg is what I got anyway Canterbury to Durham with a couple of overnight stops earlier this year, in a 2008 dizzle C4.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The simplest arrangement besides a full EV is the series hybrid using a genny engine and electric drive motor. It was sometimes known as the "electric transmission".

You obviously did not notice that technology has moved on from the 1920s. Duh.

And more. The bus is designed to go from stop to stop. Don't you know how bus networks work and what bus stops are for? Duh.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Ampera is NOT small. Again dumbo, it runs on zero emissions in the city where we do not need harmful, toxic emissions. For the long range in the country the IC genny cuts in running at a more efficient constant speed.

The new series hybrid cars will be super simple.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Prius does not have a gearbox.

All cars have ECUs. Boy you are dumb.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Totally irrelevant comment

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And have just EVs. I am with you. Boy it took you years to figure that out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This one is senile.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.

Reply to
charles

But still only has an *up to* 310 mile range on genny. Personally having to find fuel every 200 odd miles isn't very convient. I'm used to nearly a 600 mile range.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice