Electric Heater?

Hi! Electric heaters are efficient, but making electric isn't as efficient as heat from a fuel, since much of the electric is made from heat. Radiant heaters don't heat much air, but you'll feel warmer in front of them. Push as much air as you can through a convection heater to heat the place. Electric blankets for the bed and a thermostat that shut's way down at night can $ave $ome buck$! Take Care Harry

Reply to
HarryHydro

We're looking to supplement our natural gas furnace with a small electric heater to use in our living room. Any recommendations as to whether to get a convection, radiant, ceramic or otherwise? We're looking for the most bang for the buck and efficiency as well as being able to give good heat output.

Reply to
jappy

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Radiant will warm you a bit more if you are in the path. The oil filled heaters are more gentle. Ceramic cub heaters seem to give their heat in a smaller area and not as suited for larger spaces.

Will you save any money? Maybe not. I did the same thing a few years ago figuring I'd use the electric heater in just the family room and use less oil to heat the rest of the house. the cost of electric for one room was more than just using oil. YMMV, especially since the price of ng has changed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree since i have tried it. The OP will be just trading one bill for another unless NG goes to ridiculous. It might.

Just for comparisons, I had an email friend in New Brunswick, Canada a few years ago who told me that she was quite comfortable at 50F.

Most of us grew up with the thermostat at 75 or 76.

Just 10 years ago, I was paid a low of 23 cents per therm (1996, Peachtree natural Gas, Atlanta area). No more. That is fond memory. Last month Shell Energy Services was 113 per therm with "significant" increases projected. --Radio just reported 50% increase in general,

I am preparing to have a pretty chilly winter inside. :-)

FACE

Reply to
FACE