A bit windy

Call out this morning.
Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the dashboard kept saying that the drivers door was open.
Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it say that one was open?
--
Adam

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 20:02:46 UTC, ARW wrote:

Amazingly enough, so far, not even a plant pot has blown over. Yet two or three have tipped up more than once on previous occasions.
Made sure the bird feeder was put down yesterday, it is asking a lot for that to stay standing.
So just the lid of a bin and the paper recycling box got blown off. My, we have been lucky.
On 09/02/2020 20:45, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I did not have a problem on the A628 this only started when I turned off onto the A629.
--
Adam

On 09/02/2020 20:59, ARW wrote:

Sorry that your Fiat is doing what Fiats do.
The wind took our recycling bin right round the corner and started to disburse the contents. The neighbours were treated to the sight of my wife and me (only partly dressed) running around after yogurt pots and cardboard boxes.
It's exciting here: the local swimming pool has lost its roof. https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/splash-leisure-centre-sheringham-swimming-pool-closed-after-roof-damage-in-storm-ciara-1-6505757
It must have been properly exciting for the people in the pool at the time.
On Sun, 09 Feb 2020 21:17:55 +0000, GB wrote:

Our wheelie bin toured the garden. On its wheels.
<snip> >The wind took our recycling bin right round the corner and started to

It took all of (3 of) ours but I believe they were empty. ;-)

Hehe. Mine was a sedated walk fully dressed as they were wedged in various places down the side road. ;-)

The already aging motorcycle cover seems to have given up and is now hanging on the bike in shreds. It seems to have had a red lining that was at the time I looked, spread all over the bike like a layer of dust (a bit like War of the worlds <g>). I'm guessing the subsequent deluges have washed it all off the now mostly uncovered bike.
Cheers, T i m
On Sunday, 9 February 2020 21:17:59 UTC, GB wrote:

ol-closed-after-roof-damage-in-storm-ciara-1-6505757

e.
Err... A single roof window????
On 10/02/2020 07:17, harry wrote:

They are not used to excitement round here!

At least you have the decency to retrieve it, my 90 year old widowed mother moved into a small development of small modern houses when she sold the farm. It is a proper windtrap and neighbours recycling boxes and contents regularly for a trip down the road even in moderate conditions, the small size of the properties means many keep the box on the small frontage by the door rather than inside. You would think reasonably intelligent people like teachers and other professionals would learn after the first time their box gets emptied and moved but they don’t care. Instead the rubbish and boxes pile up behind a small wall on my mothers property. Now on my monthly “welfare” visit I clean it up but no longer return the boxes , they come home here 200 miles away to Hampshire where we use them in the garden for various purposes like growing spuds . Got 5 so far and apparently another is waiting to be tidied up.
GH
On 09/02/2020 21:17, GB wrote:

My bins are bungee corded to the wall. I did however have to cable tie the lids down
The Fiat was fine until I turned left at this roundabout and the winds hit me sideways on.
https://goo.gl/maps/5ggwKnXVaZM78NeYA
At one point I nearly go up to 30MPH!
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.
I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant (MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
On 10/02/2020 20:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I used to do the Woodhead quite often. Several years ago very reflective red strips were added to the Armco.
--
Adam

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that, but I did actually go out on my bike for a ride today. Was jolly hard work on the outward part, but did indeed whizz along at about 30 on the way back with very little effort.
Enjoyable.
Luckily I got back well before the rain/hail/sleet burst.
On 10/02/2020 21:56, polygonum_on_google wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720
--
Adam

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 06:03:03 +0000, ARW wrote:

The clip of the 'plane from China landing on Sunday was 'interesting' - the pilot did a superb job of controlling it and the little wobbles/swerves/bounces were fascinating to watch.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 11/02/2020 06:54, PeterC wrote:

Viral marketting :-)
polygonum_on_google wrote:

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
On 11/02/2020 08:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Now the strips are white.
I am sure they were red when the Armco was on my left on the way out to Manchester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOX4VvIL0o

--
Adam

On 11/02/2020 20:12, ARW wrote:

Likely dual sided reflective markings. They stick out from the barriers like little flags with red on one side and white on the other. They look like stripes when you drive past - red to mark the left hand edge of a road as usual. I expect your Fiat will give you a chance to examine them i.d.c. as you stand behind the Armco waiting for the recovery ;)
--
Robin
ARW wrote:

Perhaps they are cleverly arranged to show red on the left and white on the right? Which would be correct.
Chris