A bit windy

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that, but I did actually go out on my bike for a ride today. Was jolly hard work on the outward part, but did indeed whizz along at about 30 on the way back with very little effort.

Enjoyable.

Luckily I got back well before the rain/hail/sleet burst.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google
<snip>

My (first) Mrs had the Honda C50 LA, a fully automatic 3 speed (step through) that looked very much like the straight Honda C50. I think I can remember riding a C50 (or it could have been a C70) but not owning one. I did have a Yamaha T80 Townmate (shaft drive, 4sp, step-through) and that was perfect around town, or, if you could get there, the country lanes. ;-)

When motorcycle camping to Lands End [1] with the family (3 of us, two bikes) there was a photo collage of all the 'End to Enders' and the happiest bunch by far were half a dozen or so lads that had done it on Honda 50's. ;-)

Yeah, I've thought similar ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] London, New Forest, St Austell (LE and back for a day trip, Eden Project and the Bovingdon Tank Museum?), Cardiff, Porthmadog, Malvern Wells and back to London.
Reply to
T i m

ARW

The clip of the 'plane from China landing on Sunday was 'interesting' - the pilot did a superb job of controlling it and the little wobbles/swerves/bounces were fascinating to watch.

Reply to
PeterC

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when you don't expect it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not necessarily.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Viral marketting :-)

Reply to
Andrew

even at red traffic lights ?

Reply to
Andrew

The single glazing in the top-hung window in my South-facing bedroom was noticibly bulging in and OUT during violent wind gusts on Sunday.

Apart from a 15-minute period mid afternoon, when it chucked down, we didn't have too much rain here, down south, but the wind utterly demolished one neighbours 6x6 foot fence panels and snapped all the 3x3 fence posts at ground level. Why people use 3x3 posts for 6 foot high fencing beats me. Utterly shortsighted.

Meanwhile on the other side a similar run of fencing sitting in metposts just bulged and vibrated like crazy but survived. It was installed in 2014 using cheapo Wickes fencing panels.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Doesn't everyone? I only do otherwise if something is making it flick too often, or too infrequently. Which is rare in either of the two cars I regularly drive. Neither exactly super-upmarket.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up, with no action by the driver? Hope that car never goes through an auto car wash. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mondeo - if you leave the wiper controls in any operating position, they will resume when you turn on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Would you normally leave the wipers on when you switch off - except for perhaps the auto setting?

But the cars I've owned with auto wipers used the Bosch system. And even if left with the stalk in the auto position, won't work at switch on - whereas IIRC the normal or fast would (but not even sure of that). Which seems a sensible way to me?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not on my S-Max. The lights have four settings: off, parking, full, auto.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry, thought that was lights. But same applies to the wipers. The stalk has off, auto, on, on fast.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lexus

Reply to
Richard

Now the strips are white.

I am sure they were red when the Armco was on my left on the way out to Manchester.

ARW

Likely dual sided reflective markings. They stick out from the barriers like little flags with red on one side and white on the other. They look like stripes when you drive past - red to mark the left hand edge of a road as usual. I expect your Fiat will give you a chance to examine them i.d.c. as you stand behind the Armco waiting for the recovery ;)

Reply to
Robin

Perhaps they are cleverly arranged to show red on the left and white on the right? Which would be correct.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon