If you have a diesel car, look out.

No idea, but I can *guarantee* you it will be *something* - it always is.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It probably depends to some extent on what it is economical for the refiners to produce from current feed stock, and perhaps what fractions are more profitably sold for industrial use.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Because we don?t know whether to believe it or not? It *sounds* unlikely. There is a hell of a lot of misinformation out there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Interesting....

Reply to
Tim Watts

And ships - don't forget the ships.

Reply to
bert

No they weren't - they got caught.

Reply to
bert

There was a scam reported on our local radio last year where garages where telling drivers the particulate filter was blocked but not to worry they would remove it and the car would still pass its MOT.

Reply to
bert

+1
Reply to
bert

Stupid thing is, if you get the DPF warning (I've had it twice on a 10 year old MINI), you need to thrash it around a motorway for a couple of hours - even speed, a gear below normal and stick a bunch of load on (window heater, lights etc - this bit was official MINI advice).

When the ECU thinks there's a chance, it will start a DPF burnoff. Worked for me.

What they *should* have is more detailed feedback: eg: you need to do a DPF burn; Burn activated; Yeah, that's probably enough, stop wasting fuel... It's all very random.

Reply to
Tim Watts

SHIPS dont run on diesel. Only BOATS.

Ships run on 'bunker fuel'.

It has the consiestency of treacle and needs to be heated to above 100C before it can be injected.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well we won't be moving away from tires any time soon, now will we. If most of the stuff comes from them, why are we worrying about it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Including those who remove the catalyst and replace it with a straight-through pipe? Bloke where I used to work in the States used to boast about doing that, and putting the cat back every two years in time for the bi-annual pollution check.

So, in short, that is a bollocks solution.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How often do you drive behind your own car?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

has figures for the Auris in Diesel, petrol and hybrid forms.

Real figures, from real people, not book ones.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There have been lots of discussions but little action about that, some more modern vessels are dual fuel and burn a fuel that gives off less sulphur in some places that require it , some of the latest Container ships have been constructed with conversion to LNG in the future.

Brittany Ferries are having a large LNG powered ferry constructed at the moment due to enter service next year.

But on the whole the international shipping industry is waiting to see who makes the first move.

GH

Reply to
Marland

They need to have a few more VOSA (or whatever it's called this year) checkpoints. They have one down the road, but mostly (from what I've seen) pull vans and trucks for checks.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Which confirms my supposition, "Humid air takes more energy to heat up, and this combustion temps come down and so does NOx emissions." ^^^^ I assume he meant 'thus'.

Reply to
Fredxx

I get 69mpg now, around 35 from my previous 1980s car, 30 from the late 60s car etc. Clearly things are improving. These are comparable vehicles functionally, don't bother comparing it with figures for a Peel.

And yes, it is expensive. The savings in fuel are also quite large.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is the point being made. Wake up.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's not the case for petrol. There are no induction losses for one and if you don't allow the revs to go to far above max torque.

Even for city driving?

Reply to
Fredxx