Torch - Cree - Ultrafire 14500

I have had a small torch for a few years that took either a AA cell or a Ultrafire YF 14500 (3.7v).(I think I ordered the torch, batteries and charger together) Recently I mislaid it and ordered another off EBay.

It arrived today - marked HWA-WYS Ultrafire. and CREE. Looks identical to original (Focussing lens)

Tested it with a conventional AA and it was fine - cautiously tried it with the 3.7v which has been fine on the original - it caused the light to flash on and off. Is this some pretection mode for being over-volt?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA8A18D1B4A9A7TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A lot of these torches have more than one mode of operation and flashing on/off is one of these modes. Repeatedly pressing the on off button cycles through the modes of operation which may be "on fill brightness

-> on half brightness -> off => on flashing -> off -> etc. repeated cycle.

Reply to
alan_m

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hopefully it is genuine because there are many counterfeit Ultrafire torches with fake Cree LEDs and fakes 18650 cells. On the other hand, even the counterfeits can do a good job.

Reply to
pamela

How do you fake a 18650 cell? Lots make them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've always assumed it was for if you're stranded on a mountain and need to show a light to indicate your position to rescuers, the strobe is more eye-catching and uses less battery than continuous illumination.

But I could be wrong. Maybe it's used for some obscure version of Chinese silent musical chairs at parties, or for mesmerising rhinocerousousouseses.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off with the next click.

Argh, mutter, mutter, Meldrew mode.... :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Reply to
Huge

+1

I've got an Olight mini torch. Expensive, but it switches on in the same mode you as switched it off in and not the next mode in the sequence - which has really annoyed me with other torches I've owned.

Reply to
Steve

Sellers on Ebay have them listed with capacities of 500mAh to 2400mAh. I suspect that the former figure is nearer the true capacity.

Reply to
alan_m

Lots of manufacturers make cells called Ultrafire 18650 but few are made by Ultrafire.

There are so many fakes that you can't be sure of getting genuine branded 18650s even from a reputable retailer. YouTube has plenty of warning videos.

pamela

When it's not an 18650 inside:

Or when they lie about the capacity Or when they skimped on the construction so it only lasts a few dozen cycles (just enough to get beyond any returns policy) Or when it's a production reject Or when they re-wrap a battery and claim it's a branded version:

Lots of Chinese vendors make 18650s, but if you want them to last go for LG Chem, Samsung, Sony or Panasonic. If you can work out which ones are genuine, that is.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Quite. Thought it was just me. Assumed youngsters love plenty 'functions' they'll never use. Like most phones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Judging by the adverts for these torches it is for those Americans who are in a constant state of training to combat federal government special forces planning to take away their constitutional rights. I think it is intended to temporarily distract and confuse the enemy.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Perhaps they mount them on their rifles designed for protecting the person only. Flashes in sync with the speed of firing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this mode designed to make people have fits, or somethingmore useful? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cyclists like to mount them on the front of the bike - mor "eye catching" than a static light...

(and perhaps means you can crash in stop motion ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes! I've v. good LED lamp that has 3 modes, so 4 presses - with just on-off I have a use for it; with 4...! Having said that, the v. bright Aldidl 2xAA torch has Full - 'Half' - Off (and zoom) and that could be useful, perhaps, as it'll last about 6 hours on the lower setting, with a good light.

Reply to
PeterC

One of our Led torches has a fourth mode where the flashes get emitted as the Morse S O S signal.

I have found that useful in the Local on a Sunday night when the staffing drops to one millennial lass serving between two bars to attract her attention through the interconnecting arch around the corner from which she is holding court with hopeful young Males. In Summer I take my own counter Bell.

GH

Reply to
Marland