Replacement torch

I have had the same torch for many a year. Now has come the time to replace it. I need it simply to use in the the home, mainly to look into dark corners. The one I have uses 3X D sized batteries, which is a PITA as they always come in packs of 4 and is very touch being rubberised. Are LED torches the way forward? Naff question, but if I can get one as long lasting as this one has been I will be a happy bunny. All recommendation welcomed.

Reply to
Broadback

If just a basic torch, yes. LEDs use a lot less current so cheaper on batteries. I'd also prefer a rechargeable one - especially if it uses easily replaceable stock sized cells.

A properly designed LED torch should also give the same light output regardless of battery state - until they die completely. Which may or may not be an advantage. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes LED torches are the way to go. Look for known brands such as Cree for a better build standard likely to give the long life you seek. The power consumption is so much lower, you won't need such large cells and re-chargeable might be an option with the newer, low self-leakage NiMh cells.

ALDI and or LIDL sometimes have led torches in their special offers too

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Broadback wrote: These

are so cheap I bought half a dozen last year and leave one in most room plus in the cars (with slow self- discharge rechargeables).

I'd not die in a ditch to defend them really having Cree LEDs or compare their built quality with Maglite but (a) they've worked for >a year and (b) at less than ?2 each I won't feel hard done by if I throw them away when bigger/better/brighter LEDs come along.

Reply to
Robin

"Robin" wrote in news:n27idu$vic$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

&redirect=true&ref_=

I bough a LED Torch from Amazon that has a zoom lens and can take a

3.7Volt recharchable. I use is as a pointer in my role as a guide at a museum. It is amazing. It cost less than ?3. The batteries and charger were less than ?5. Long life is not an issue with such things as it is always likely that something better will be on the horizon.
&sr=1-1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

I got one of these acts as a PIR nightlight, always on charge and is also a torch.

ss

I have a 'thing' about torches, I have loads. This is my favourite

David Lang

+1 I will be buying one or two more.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Thanks for all the feedback. I've had a good look and decided to go for Davis Lang's recommendation.

Reply to
Broadback

Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Reply to
David Lang

4D LED Maglite.

*That's* the way to go.

Actually, I already had the Maglite - it's 20 years old. I upgraded the lamp module with one of these:

I put one of these badboys in 4 years ago and changed the switch at the same time:

and it lights up across half a field.

Mini maglites can be a bit dodgy but the full sized ones are certainly very long lived and maintainable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it's anything like the CREE spotlights I got for mains GU10 fittings, the lifetime will be miserably short (mine lasted

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A headlamp is far better than a torch. I have two of these. Very good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There are an amazing variety of LED torches available - search for candlepowerforums and you'll see that some people are obsessed by them - but they tend to call them flashlights!

Fenix and Nitecore are good brands plus Thrunite who can be found on Amazon

Reply to
Murmansk

Those make very god DIY inspection torches I find - very good for projecting a long narrow beam of light under floors and through roof voids etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lidl had what looks very similar indeed. I just wish they'd put a bit more battery capacity into them.

Reply to
polygonum

I don't think head torches are better per se, just different. We have head torches, and have been using them for years, but sometimes a troch is better.

Reply to
Chris French

And of course you can keep a four D cell Maglite in the car and it isn't classified as carrying a weapon.

Reply to
Bob Eager

..especially for a sore throat?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If that post is ever linked to you in real life you might find out the hard way that virtually anything can be classified as an offensive weapon. It depends partly on intent, and your post implies that you regard a big Maglite as a weapon.

Reply to
GB