Replacement torch

Don't be daft.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I find a head torch useful for DIY, and splashed out on a Petzl on a recommendation. Proven to be durable and bright, although gets through the rechargeable batteries quite quickly.

Any decent cheaper (

Reply to
RJH

He is not being daft.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use one of these and it's the dogs.

David Lang

Unless you used it.....

Reply to
David Lang

That's not very helpful. What if I can't help being daft? Or, heaven forbid, what if I am right?

Reply to
GB

I never seem to have any issues walking around with a 4D Maglite on my belt clip. In front of policemen. Never been questioned for it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thank you for that wonderful observation.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I carry a Maglite in the car. It uses two AAA cells.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There's also the similar

which I bought a couple of years aao as I prefer headtorches with weight split between the front and back, albeit it is heavier overall as it uses AAs rather than AAAs. (I do still tend to use it in conjunction with one or more of the cheap little LED torches though indoors or on cars as I end up all too often in some contorted position where I can reach the wotsit only to find I can't reach then reach the headtorch. But that's probably just my incompetence.)

Reply to
Robin

Bob Eager scribbled

Keep it under the driver's seat and you stand a very good chance of getting nicked.

Reply to
Jonno

Tim Watts scribbled

Perhaps he thought you were pleased to see him...

Reply to
Jonno

Odd. They seem to be exactly the same except one is 'rubberised' = and a bit cheaper?

Reply to
David Lang

Is that in connection with your job or a particular hobby (staring into really, really dark holes, for example)? For most purposes, a smaller LED torch will do just fine, so you may be lucky not to have been questioned. Or perhaps you look particularly honest and decent.

All sorts of things that have legitimate uses can also be used as weapons, pickaxe handles used to be the weapon of choice for payroll hold-ups at one stage. So, if you are caught carrying one, you really need to be able to explain why.

Reply to
GB

Well the one you have also uses 3 AAAs in a holder at the front where the one I have uses 3 AAs in a holder at the back. There also seem to be slight differences in brightness but I'd not put much on that. And more generally I'm not saying one is better than the other.

Reply to
Robin

Aha! Sorry, I was having a grey moment! I didn't notice the battery pack position!

Reply to
David Lang

I just bought a set of these

which look quite similar. I don't bother with rechargables, just buy duracells in packs of 12 from ebay. They seem to work fine after a year or more in a glovebox or door pocket.

Reply to
newshound

Agreed, I love head torches for actually doing anything. The only mentioned above though is still worth having for inspecting things though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I can't think of an activity in which it is better to have one hand occupied holding a torch.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Can you imagine the headlines? MAN PROSECUTED FOR TORCH IN CAR

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright