Bath Waste - Centre Screw

My bath waste (fitted 1988) is retained by a central screw that passes through the perforated waste and into a central web in the plastic waste. I look at it a worry about the thread corroding and the bath dumping its contents into the ceiling void.

I guess I should replace it but then it gets me into compatability concerns and sealing.

Would you replace it for a different type - or leave it alone?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Leave well alone. It ought to be stainless for a start, but I've never seen one that was rotted to the point of thinning enough to snap. More likely to muller the plastic waste removing and refitting.

Reply to
Scott M

Usually chrome plated brass or newer ones stainless steel. Not likely to give trouble. Main seal is usually a back nut under the bath and that screw just holds the grating. Too risky to find out unless you take the bathside off first.

if it aint bust.......

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There are some wastes around where the central screw holds the waste and there isn't a back nut.

Oh so true......

Reply to
David Lang

Leave it alone... I have never seen one of these screws fail yet... Also there is a reasonable chance the underside was bedded in with silicone and would stay attached to the bath even without the screw.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd have another screw ready, and take it out, carefully, and insert the new one without disturbing anything.

You'll probably find the waste is stuck onto the bath well enough that it will not fall off. But have the side panel off, of at least know you can, just in case.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Got a feeling mine's like that.

Reply to