Cleaning a trigger-start torch?

My bernzomatic trigger-start torch ignites, but then the flame goes out within 2 seconds even though gas is obviously still flowing. I use the torch to sweat copper pipes, but very infrequently. Is there something I need to clean or maintain? Do I have to buy a new one every year or so??

Advice appreciated. Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

What happens if you try to relight it with a flame - like a match? That wil tell you if the gas flow is sufficient. Maybe the gas is coming out so fast it blows the flame out somehow. Buying a new one each year is a stupid way to do things when the spark still works o your present unit.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My ancient bernzomatic torch came with instructions to temporarily reverse the orifice so the gas runs counter to the normal flow. This can free any blockage in the very small diameter holes. Then put it back to the proper orientation and it should work. However, I don't know if this fix is applicable to newer models.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

What one needs is a set of torch orifice cleaning reamers...even HD has inexpensive set.

Reply to
dpb

If the orifice is clogged, the flame will be smaller, and probably wouldn't light in the first place. The OP has not said what happens if he tries to light it using a match, the first step in diagnosing his problem.. But if the air supply that goes aound the orifice has dirt or debris in it, like maybe spider webs,, insufficient air will flow and that will cause flame-out also.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi. I'm the OP. If I light with a match, it'll go out on its own in a few seconds.

Reply to
millinghill

Torch doesn't hold flame for more than a few seconds after match is taken away. Nothing really LOOKS dirty or clogged, so I'm at a loss for what's wrong.

Reply to
millinghill

It again likely is partially obstructed somewhere...all I was really commenting on is the toolset for probing orifii is available and works much better than the suggested wire for the purpose.

The other suggestions of some compressed air, etc., are still worth doing...

Reply to
dpb