Can't start my strimmer

Hi All,

I haven't used my Ryobi petrol strimmer for a few years. Tried it get it started today but no joy. There was no petrol in it (probably evaporated over the years as don't recall emptying it myself) so I filled it with new petrol and some 2 stroke oil, cleaned the plug (although not particularly dirty) and checked the gap (0.63mm as per the manual). Unfortunately couldn't get it to start. So tried the following...

  1. removed plug to let the petrol evaporate in case it was flooded
  2. checked the plug sparked ok against the engine - seemed fine
  3. removed the air filter (seemed clean but worth a shot)
  4. thought maybe I added too much 2 stroke oil (has been in the garage for a few years) so added more clean petrol and swished it around a bit.

Still no joy. Anyone any ideas what to try next? I saw on Peter's thread that someone suggested putting blow torch gas in the air filter side? Sounded a bit scary but is this a good idea? How would I do it?

Thanks in advance all

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Easystart - what's in this? I suspect mostly butane.

GB

ou can buy something, I think called 'Quickstart', in aerosol cans for just this purpose. Possibly safer than blowtorch gas.

Reply to
charles

I would hazard a guess that the fuel pipe has turned into jello and needs replacing to allow fuel to reach the engine. That's what happened to mine and to my neighbours too. He had a length of the right pipe.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Turn on blowtorch *but don't light it* poke nozzle close to air intake of strimmer and try starting.

Sometimes a small squirt of fuel into the carb can also do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

This can mean the crankcase has rather much 2t oil left to foul the plug and cause the saw to fail to pick up and smoke badly.

Butane only burns in very limited air fuel ratios and won't spontaneously ignite at diesel compression temperature.

Easy start is mostly diethyl ether [1].

I wouldn't try this as a first step.

The carb may be blocked with 2t oil. If it has a purge/primer bulb press this many times to circulate fresh mix and attempt to dissolve oil.

Next with throttle half set squirt a very small amount of mix into throttle body with air filter off. If it fires then it is a fuel supply problem. If not check plug again. These engines do need to be spun over

500rpm before they woill spark and sometimes if there is any foulingt it is difficult to do this with the plug in even if it sparks when out. [1]Diethy ether would make an interesting diesel fuel if injected as I suspect it would be rather clean of particulates.
Reply to
AJH

Try it with same easystart or Butane but if it fires but will not run the fuel jets are so small that dried up fuel and 2T oil can completely block them and the fuel pump valves inside the carb can also suffer from sticking if not used regularly and age

Reply to
Mark

Be aware that this can detonate BTDC and can shear the flywheel key.

Reply to
AJH

Likely to be a blocked jet or rotten gasket so strip the carb and clean/repair as appropriate. Alternatively, generic replacement carbs are very cheap so try and find one that will fit.

Reply to
nothanks

It was a major component in model aeroplane diesel engines in the

1950's. Ether:paraffin:caster oil roughly 1:1:1 IIRC. Whether you can still get di-ethyl ether, I've no idea.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

I just replaced the carb on my 4-stroke Ryobi, the replacement was ridiculously cheap and has fixed all problems. It wasn't too bad before (much better than my previous 2-stroke) but the new carb has sorted it completely.

Reply to
Chris Green

wonkylies says as much, but I doubt car manufacturers are interested in any development of internal combustion engines now, HGVs perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I assume the compression is still OK? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I threw my relatively new Ryobi petrol strimmer away. Hopeless piece of over-priced junk. Never was an "Easy Start". Very poor customer support.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Very useful tip. My Ryobi chainsaw wouldn't start last time I tried, but I did not persist because I have a smaller cordless that was man enough for the job.

I was going to give the "standard" advice already given about fuel pipes and oil/dirt in the jets and passages.

The other thing I sometimes find effective is to warm up the cylinder with a hot air gun or, if you are careful, with a gas torch. This transfers heat to the carb and increases the vapour pressure of the fuel. Be careful not to "cook" the fuel pipe.

Reply to
newshound

I've *mostly* been OK with Ryobi kit, although the chainsaw has mangled the oil pump twice.

Reply to
newshound

Hi All,

Thought I would post a quick update. I pumped some petrol into the engine using the bulb thing and left it over night. Tried to start it this morning and no joy. Downloaded the manual to check for sure where the air filter and carb were. Discovered that I have been a plonker!!! Seems like the from cold process to start it is to press the bulb 4 times, pull the engine up to 3 times on full choke and then try starting it on half choke. Bit odd given you pull it "up to 3 times" on full choke but anyway did the trick. Pulled it 3 times on full and then around 5 times on half and it sprung to life. Lots of smoke initially but after a minute or so at full throttle seems to have subsided. Now need to refit the casing and the air filter and hopefully ready to go :)

Thanks all for your help

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

RESULT! Sometimes RTFM works.

Reply to
newshound

I had exactly t=this fault on exactly the same tool as far as I recall The problem was the 'clunk' fuel filter that was totally gummed up in the tank

I removed it rinsed it in petrol and kept sucking and blowing till it wasn't blocked...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a lot to be said in favour of metal carbs. There's a lot to be said for running balance. My Ryobi had neither - a real white finger / HAVS generator.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able