Ryobi PLT2543Y strimmer won't start

I was given a Ryobi PLT2543Y petrol strimmer a couple of years ago, by a relative who didn't get on with it. He wasn't alone:

has more or less worked for a while, but would never run without the choke, and now will not run for more than a few seconds. I follow the correct starting procedure:

1) Switch on ignition. 2) Press priming bulb 8 times. 3) Pull cord with lever in "off" position until motor starts then dies. 4) Pull cord with lever in "choke" position.

At stage 3, the motor dies after a couple of seconds. I've tried adjusting the red and white mixture screws. I've even tried cutting off the plastic guards on the screws to allow more adjustment. The manual mentions that if adjusting these screws does not work, the strimmer should be taken to a Ryobi agent for a secret carburetor adjustment. Any guesses as to what that might be?

My planned next steps are:

1) Dismantle carburetor to see if there's anything obviously wrong, and to try to understand what the red and white screws actually do. 2) Throw it away and buy another strimmer (I'm reluctant to pay a Ryobi agent to try to fix an old strimmer that has such a bad reputation).

Any suggestions?

Reply to
StrimmingStress

I was given a Ryobi PLT2543Y petrol strimmer a couple of years ago, by a

Have you tried starting it on Propane? I always use it when starting my Chinese strimmer/pole saw. Just play a propane torch (unlit of course) into the air filter whilst pulling the cord. Mine starts instantly this way and soon settles to run on the two stroke mix with the choke off.

As for the two screws is one just a throttle stop to set tick over speed?

The other will be the mixture screw and should be tuned for smoothest running. Start with it set three full turns out and fine tune from there.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

take the clunk out and check that its clear washing through with petrol or replacing.

The starting procedure that works for me is fill, prime with the bulb, full choke, full throttle, and switch ON, and then pull. only take the choke off when its happy to run without it,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2 smokes are prone to this a bit on smaller engines. Strip the carb. clean out the crap (Redex does this well). Reassemble and gently screw in the mixture screw to bottom out and then out 1½ turns to start. Half choke it, prime and start. Set revs to about half speed and get going

Mine is the same and it's a similar make, runs fine on half throttle but rev it up and it dies until properly warm. I have set the "Idle" speed to have it run at ¼ to ½ throttle and strim at that speed. Less fuel consumed, less throw from the cutter meaning less clearing up, and at low revs like that you can strim a chainlink fence carefully giving a good clean finish without much effort or string snapping. Lower revs also less noisy. So set it to run at lower revs and it'll be a whole load better

Reply to
Nthkentman

replying to Nthkentman, Wayne T wrote: Change the carb with one that has proper adjusting screws. I did and it ran ok. The Ryobi carb replacement will be expensive. The eBay replacement will be better. You will need a 'pacman' adjuster screwdriver.

Reply to
Wayne T