I have a 2-cycle lawn boy mower that was left to me by previous home
owners. I've used it the past two summers. The first summer I had
trouble starting it. Took it in for repair and was told nothing was
wrong, so I hate to waste more money.
Here's the deal. Ran it empty last fall and stored it over winter.
Added gas this spring and it started up. Used it a few times before
trouble began. First sign of trouble...it started and then died
shortly thereafter. When I finally got it restarted, it kicked out
some smoke. It then ran ok for a few weeks. The last few times, when
I try to start it, I prime and pull, prime and pull, prime and
pull...nothing. I assume at some point I'm flooding it and give up.
The next day it will start on the first pull with no priming. But the
last two times, after it starts (after sitting overnight) it runs for
10-20 seconds, dies, and won't restart. It happens so fast I don't
have a chance to try and give it more gas. I've tried changing the
spark plug, checked the air filter, it's got fresh gas (with proper
oil mix). When it wants to start it fires right up. Any suggestions?
Could be electronics, after it fails pull the plug wire and have
someone pull the cord and short it to the block to see if you are
getting spark. Or it could be a crudded up carb. but Ignition modules
usualy start to fail first with heat of the motor. May or may not be
worth repairing, do a compression test to get an idea of engine wear
on the older lawnboy 2 stroke mower change th elower seal
The lower seal is subjet to more wear and tear from the enviroment and if
the lower bushing/bearing is worn it will also subject the seal to more
abuse. The problem you described sounds like the lower seal is the problem.
The next time it won't start try this. Unscrew the plug, connect the
spark plug wire to the plug, ground the threads of the plug, pull and
check for a spark. If there is no spark, or it is weak you can try a new
plug. If you have a spark, squirt or dribble into the spark plug hole
about a quarter shot glass of gas, and reinstall the plug. If it kicks
now and wants to run then you have a fuel delivery problem.
Can you please explain how squirting gas directly into the cylinder
risks burning a hole in the piston. I use the carb when possible but
sometimes it's just not practical because the air cleaners are buried so
deep like on motorcycles and snowmobiles. I understand the
incompressibility of a liquid but even a 25cc string trimmer can
swallow a a few cc's of gas without going solid. Anyway, this would most
likely break a rod or a crankshaft, not burn a hole in the piston. Could
it be that I've been very lucky not to have burned a hole in the piston
every time I have done this over the past 35 years?
When you spray directly in , more than a drop or two it combusts all at
once, much more than normaly goes through the carb, Through the carb or
intake it will not go directly in and will vaporise better. Either in
the cilinder is bad. Ive heard of piston rods being shot out the case
this way. Its just a saftey issue for the motor, the cilinders are so
small that especialy Either [ starting fluid] direct can mess the
motor permanently. If you havnt had a problem you have done it right,
but a little to much could be real bad. I would mostly worry with
Either, its explosive.
On 28 Jun 2004 19:30:42 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org (Chris) wrote:
Is it new enough to have the safety lever that kills the engien when
you let go of it? If so check the safety on the side of the engine.
there is a very cheap "switch" there connected to one wire. When the
switch is closed it grounds the ignition system so you don't get a
spark. The switch gets messed up and stays closed even when you have
the safety lever squeezed.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.