New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start. Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once. I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped. Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the compression is fine.) I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping the gas properly, but I may be off on that. Thank you. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Pull the spark plug. Is it dry and 'normal' looking?

Ground the end of the plug and pull the cord. with the switch in the "On" position. (or get a spark tester for a few bucks). Is there spark?

There's only 3 relevant things most of the time (barring the engine being worn out). Fuel, spark and timing. If you prime the carb before checking the plug, you should see gas on it . Likewise, you can pour a small amount of fuel directly into the plug hole, screw plug in, and try to start. Spraying fuel into the air filter/intake does not guarantee it is getting into the cylinder.

Reply to
83LowRider

Something often over-looked on 2-cycles...blocked exhaust.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Not likely on a new unit. He would have to have really overdone the oil mixture.

Reply to
83LowRider

I'd say, if under warranty and bought at big box store, take it back and get a new one. Getting repaired under warranty in my experience can be a PITA and the big stores will normally trade back with no question.

Reply to
Frank

If it's still under the return policy, just return it. Otherwise maybe flooded??? I recall in the old days, to pull the plug and just pull the cord multiple times to unflood it. Check the plug to make sure it's still clean ... not full of oil at gapped end. Then put it back, prime as normal and try to start again. I know mine (different brand) is probably made by a female because it's tempermental at times. Other times, it starts fine.

Reply to
Doug

frank1492 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

perhaps the ethanol in the gas(E10) has swelled some rubber part,restricting the fuel feed? lots of people are experiencing problems in small engines with ethanol in the gas.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a sputter. I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I think this may clinch it.

Reply to
frank1492

Is it under a warranty????

Reply to
hrhofmann

I've seen one that had turf in it (laying in the grass to start-it)!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

On a NEW unit, not likely. I suppose a "new" unit could be several months t= o over a year old, but usually new is new, a couple months at most. It take= s more than a couple months for the ethanol gas to adversely effect rubber = parts.=20

Maybe some piece of crap left over from the manufacturing/assembly process = got wedged in somewhere, but you would need to know something about these u= nits to tear it down and find the obstruction.

It would also require that the trimmer is past the box store's return polic= y, and the OP has no other option than to fix it himself or send it back to= China for warranty repair.

I can say I haven't had a single issue I could attribute to ethanol in the = gas, myself. I leave my string trimmer sit full of gas over the winter and = it starts on the second pull every time every spring. I have a 35-year-old = chainsaw that I leave mix sit in for months at a time. Always runs.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Well then, we know you're GETTING fuel to the carb. When you see/say the plug was wet - it shouldn't be - unless you had just recently primed it.

That doesn't say anything as to whether you're getting spark.

Take the plug out, put the spark plug cap/boot on the plug. Ground the bottom of the plug against the engine. With switch turned 'on', pull the cord. You should see a spark. You'll often 'hear' it as well.

Reply to
83LowRider

If you prime the carb before checking

The fuel from the primer bulb goes in the intake side of the crankcase. Fuel has to go thru crankcase first, before it reaches the plug on 2 strokes ( which I assume it is). He would have to push the primer bulb and the pull the starter rope for fuel to show up on the plug.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Take out the plug. Pull the cord several times and let it sit for a day ( gets gas out of crank case) Next day pull it a couple more times Get new plug and check for spark BEFORE you put it in If no spark, check to make sure kill switch is in the RUN position If you have spark, then install NEW plug You're welcome

Hank

Reply to
Hank

You are correct. I've assumed if he had been pushing the primer bulb, that he had been pulling the rope to start it.

Reply to
83LowRider

From experience, I know exactly what the problem is. It says "Homelite" on the side of it. Tools that are marked "Homelite" last for only a few hours.

Ed Pawlowski

Ours stopped after a few uses also. After much messing about, I found that the screws that held the priming bulb to the carb had worked loose and tightening them fixed the problem... Never had another problem until the priming bulb and fuel line disintegrated (from being left in the sun).

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Read all the advice. I had a similar "don't want to start problem (Ryko). Called customer service--got an experienced tech. Where the instructions said "prime the bulb 7 times" he said do it as many as 14 times. If it don't start then put it in the Run position, hold down the trigger and pull. That does it every time. One other thing--the way I hold the unit while trying to start also has a bearing--the inlet line in the tank can be out of the fuel at times--I make sure that it is submerged when starting. Just a thought--is it possible that the line in the fuel tank is blocked/crimped/leaky? MLD

Reply to
MLD

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

I used it as-was to cut the stump up, resharpening the blade every time I hit dirt (which was frequent because this was a stump), and it worked fine.

This year when I ran it to cut some trees (in the rain), after not much work it wouldn't start. I cleaned the (clogged) air filter and bought a new plug, and it's back to working like new.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah, you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Want to buy my Homelite? It had less than ten hours and was worn out. You certainly got lucky, but that is a rare exception. Ask at any small engine service shop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski