Homelite gas trimmer question

I have a gas trimmer. Homelite quikstart or something similar. It has been acting cranky, so I took it apart, replaced the primer bulb, and put it back together. I took it apart down to the needle valve, and soaked and washed everything, and blew out the channels with air. Now that I put it back together, I can not get it to fire or run. The primer brings fuel up, and I can see it through the tube, and it pumps gas down into the tank. Pulled the plug several times, one time dry, the next time wet. It's a pretty simple carburetor. Am I missing something obvious? Maybe I need to go get the full kit? Those pieces and gaskets only go in there one way, so I know I don't have anything backwards. It's got me baffled, and I need it running.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I used to have a Homelite chain saw. After one year it had problems. The fix was fairly simple though.

Hold the saw or trimmer in your stronger arm and swing it back and forth a few times to build momentum. About the fourth swing, just heave that SOB as far as it will go, preferably over a cliff. Now go to the store and buy a Stihl or Husky. I've been very happy ever since.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the rings are worn there might not be enough vacuum to suck gas.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Your mistake was to dismantle the carb. When my small engines act up, I pull the carb whole, plop in the ultrasonic cleaner full of simple green solution for 10-15 min, rinse, then blow dry with compressed air. I also always use Sta-Bil in my gas supply, and at the start of the season use a good dose of Sea Foam in the first tank of fuel.

Reply to
Pete C.

I never use sta-bull and never have problems with leaf blower, grass trimmer, lawn mowers, tractors, chain saws or anything. It's a waist of money. I find that most people do not have fuel problems; they have problems with the dirt and crap they spill into the fuel.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Hi, That is a Good one. I just came home and it built up my appetite laughing so hard. I use Echo trimmer. My church member is a dealer and gave me a good deal on one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I never use fuel stabilizer either. Never have problem. I use good gas/oil, correct ratio mixture.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

=EF=BF=BDIt has been

e I need to go get

Look for an air leak. Many times the bolts that hold the cylinder to the block come loose and allow air to enter. Also, the gasket between the carb and engine. After checking for air leaks, remove plug and pull the starter rope MANY times to remove any gas in the crankcase/ cylinder (flooded). Put in a new plug. Don't prime it or choke it and hold throttle open all the way when starting. If it don't start after a few pulls, then prime it with 2 pushes of the blulb (no more) and choke it with the throttle open. It will start if there isn't another problem. Most people have a tendency to flood those little 2 strokes.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Well Steve, I'm no small engine person. I'm more the sometimes I get lucky kinda guy.

You can't even get it to fire/kick? Have you checked for spark since? Possible something got messed up during your work...plug wire broken internally, shorting out, kill switch stuck.

If it has good spark, have you tried taking a straw full of gas, put it in the spark plug hole, replace plug and see if it fires?

Reply to
Red Green