Blow torch, propane torch

Does it bother anyone here that so many people refer to a propane torch as a blow torch, and that so few people seem to know what a blow torch is?

Reply to
mm

Yes, but it is one of those things that you are never going to correct. I feel the same way about people that use the term "hot water heater".

Reply to
Robert Allison

Not in the least. Everyone knows what is meant, so what difference does it make?

I saw a blow torch at an auction and was going to buy just to see what it did, but somebody thought it was a collectible. Oh well.

Reply to
Toller

No, because they do the same thing. However, most people probably couldn't figure out how to start a blow torch without some help and wold consider them extremely dangerous.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

There is'nt much diference...just figurative.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

George E. Cawth> > Does it bother anyone here that so many people refer to a propane

Reply to
annie.ryder

There is'nt much diference...just figurative.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

George E. Cawth> > Does it bother anyone here that so many people refer to a propane

Reply to
annie.ryder

No, there is a huge difference. The old blow torch is nothing at all like the propane torches. Have you ever used a blow torch? Different fuel, different configuration, fillable versus throw away tanks, different flame patterns.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, therefore there isn't much difference, just figurative.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

George, you surprise me. Given your usual exactedness I figured it would bug you as much as me. I realize we cannot change the world's use of language, but I just can't lump together anything that has a flame with blow torches. Picky, I am.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Of course key to this discussion and which no one has really addressed, is what exactly is the correct definition of blow torch? I always thought it referred to the antique devices that used gasoline in a like a quart size container attaced to an upper part that was the torch. Like this:

In movies or the media, it's common to see that term used to refer to an acetylene cutting torch, but I wouldn't call it that.

A quick websearch found this from Wikipedia:

A blowtorch has several meanings, which deal with tools that consume fuel. It may mean a:-

Cutting torch, a handheld torch used for cutting metal. Blowlamp, a torch using propane or butane; its predecessors used gasoline or kerosene for fuel. One of the G.I.Joe toys is named Blowtorch: he is usually shown with a flamethrower. See blowpipe

Also, look at these, which are current ads for propane torches which are called blow torches, but many look remarkably similar to a Bernzomatic and use the same fuel:

So, what are others opinions of the correct definition of blow torch?

Reply to
trader4

No, why should it. It is almost always totally clear what they are talking about. From a legalistic view, consider that it is usage that determines what a word means not the dictionary. The dictionary only reflects usage. So based on that, blow torch now includes propane torches.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hope blowtorches are collectible! I will sell mine on e bay! I only kinda used it once with my mom when I was a little kid helping strip lead base paint from a porch:(

I am 49 safety was different back then!

E bay here I come...............

Reply to
hallerb

now what about those people that call twist drills "drill bits". grrrr!

Reply to
marson

That is oxy-fuel cutting torch to be correct. Acetylene is just one of the potential fuels that can be used with that torch. Others include natural gas, propane, MAP, and possibly others. Different tips.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

If this bothers someone they should never live in the South. We don't mash potatoes, we mash the lights to turn them on and off. If you "don't care to do something" it means you do want to do it. If someone understands what I mean, then the words are correct. Let my prim and proper Boston English teacher turn over in her grave.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

It bothers me about as much as someone referring to a "steam roller" when clearly any steam rollers still existing are valuable collector's items. And it bothers me far less than sleazy politicians (an oxymoron, I know) and any number of other daily annoyances.

And I do know how to use and have used a blowtorch (oh so many years ago) and given the choice I'd never trade one for my nice self-igniting pushbutton propane torch, thank you very much.

Reply to
John McGaw

Aside from the seperate oxygen and acetylene tanks you mean?

Reply to
GotBonus?

I may be one of them, not sure. Set me straight, please. I don't want to behave like those who don't know what a blow torch is.

Reply to
mm

Almost, but not always. If someone says "I used a blowtorch to solder the fittings" chances are it makes no difference in context.

If, though, a person asks a question how do you know what the response should be. Each of the following requires a different answer.

  1. How do I light my blowtorch

  1. How do I light my Oxy Acetylene torch

  2. How do I troubleshoot may MAPP gas torch with push button start

  1. How do I light my propane torch

Replace the type of torch in the last three questions with "blowtorch" and you will not be able to give a proper answer. Precise use of the written word is never wrong, but slang and sloppy use can be disastrous.

Want to be confused: An airplane can be a plane, but a plane can never be an airplane.

Where I work, we make boxes. Sometimes customers want them in cartons.

I wore my heavy coat today because the temperature was 20. I'm packing a suitcase for my trip with short sleeved shirts because it will be 20 degrees when I arrive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I didn't say a propane torch wasn't better, only that they are different things.

But since you bring it up, aren't blow torches hotter? I'm not sure why I think they are, except that they burn gasoline, which somehow seems hotter to me than propane.

Reply to
mm

Reply to
Goedjn