Why diesel for cars?

I gas up and almost never see diesel fuel. The exhaust stinks and gives me a headache. The engine sounds like marbles shaking. Yet, people buy diesel cars. Why?
On 9/23/2018 3:41 PM, K120 wrote:

You will not see as much diesel here because the higher mileage is negated by the higher cost. I understand in Europe where it is on par with gasoline there are more vehicles. A clean running diesel is less polluting since less fuel is needed. VW was cheating on emissions testing and I don't know how other makes compare. Most of the stink on the road is from polluting truck exhaust and could be gasoline too.

Here's what that article seems to have said . Almost All European Diesel Cars Are Dirty, New Study Finds . they used a beam of light to study a car's exhaust plume . No diesel car was found to be given a "good" rating . The study did not test 2019 models . All the latest models of European diesel cars are bad polluters . they exceed 2019 nitrogen oxides (NOx) levels set by the European Union
The thing is that I don't care about pollution for this question.
What I got as answers were that diesel engines last longer. There was no cost per mile efficiency given current USA fuel prices.
How is the acceleration compared to gas cars? The torque curves must be very different than gas engines, aren't they?

Diesel engines have more bottom end torque. More "grunt" but generally get "wheezy" at higher RPMs. Turbos help.
They also generally have a distinctive "moan" which often translates to a "buzz" in the bodywork which can also translate to electrical and electronic failures from cyclic vibrations.
On 9/23/2018 9:33 PM, K120 wrote:

Acceleration can be very good. I've owned one diesel years ago and it had a little turbo lag but once the rpm came up it was quick. I had a rental for a couple of weeks in Italy, a Citroen, and it was very capable. There are even some diesel race cars.
On Sun 23 Sep 2018 06:33:42p, K120 told us...

Never had a diesel car, never wanted a diesel car, and will never buy a diesel car. Of people I have know who have owned them, they were nothing but a PITA.

On 09/23/2018 07:33 PM, K120 wrote:

I understand the VW TDI engines performed quite well -- before VW got tacked to the barn door.
I worked for a startup and when the company finally started making money the owner bought a Mercedes diesel. He was used to American performance cars and stepping on the throttle and having no much of anything happen did not impress him. The last straw was when his ever helpful college student son tried to fill it with unleaded.
That got traded for a Cadillac Cimmaron. That wasn't too exciting either and when his secretary drove in with her new Pontiac which was the same car without the bling, the Caddy was a goner.
Next stop was a Lincoln Town Car, which he liked. In his politically incorrect way he said "If I'm going to go n----r rich, I'm going to do it right."
Diesels have their place. They can't be beat in a truck where you're pulling weight. If I wanted to drag a 35' fifth wheel around the country, I'd want a Cummins.

I've driven a few diesels. The diesel Astra I drove in Austria was great for the driving I did there - handled the hills very well -accelleration was lackluster and passing was sometimes a bit scary - but overall it was a good car for the task. Not sure I'd want to drive it across north america.
Just worked on and drove a diesel Passat last week. Terrible turbo lag, but an easy long-legged cruiser - but again passing at speed required pre-planning.
Drove a few diesel SUVs in Burkina back in 2000. Again, for that purpose they were somewhere between adequate and great. Running the "fabedougou expressway" there was nothing better. (basically a goat track)
On 09/23/2018 02:08 PM, Frank wrote:

I remember an acquaintance bemoaning that he'd bought a diesel pickup just when the price of diesel made it more expensive to operate. That was about ten years ago.
On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 3:41:44 PM UTC-4, K120 wrote:

You must be listening to vintage diesel cars. Modern ones are hard to distinguish from a gas engine. The advantages to diesels are better mileage and longer engine life. A big advantage they used to have too was lower fuel cost, but with the move to low sulfur, diesel is now at a premium. I would agree that today, I see no compelling advantage to diesel here in the USA. The better fuel economy is offset by the higher price for diesel and few car owners are going to keep a car long enough that the longer engine life comes into play.