I was trying to jumpstart my riding mower. I crossed the polarity on my te
rminals. It melted the top off the red (pos) terminal. Now it won't star
What cooked? My guess is that the battery, but is it damaged? How do I te
st that, I suppose by leaving it to charge overnight. I tried to start aft
er fixing the connections, but wondering if the starter motor is not fried
too. I have to connect that directly to a new battery? My wires look good
, but maybe I should test for connectivity with an ohm meter?
Anything else? Any specific wiring to double check?
You guys have been knowledgeable.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Sep 2018 16:47:37 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
Well, if it melted, it's damaged. Probably ruined. Do you have a
Probably not. From the starter motor's pov, one battery was connected
property and the other connnected backwards, so it was lowering the
total voltage that showed at the starter, not increasing it.
You can always do that but if the wires were cooked you'd be able to see
melted insulation. The only wires at danger were the ones connecting
the batteries together. The jumper cables. And even then it's mostly the
plastic cover of the wires. I doubt you melted the copper. If you
promise not to do this again and wrap tape around any copper that is
showing that wasn't showing before, the cables are probably still good
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.