The lost nut

A small ebay purchase was delivered yesterday, which involved some quite tiny nuts and bolts, plus assembly. So, sat on our electric recliner settee I began assembling it, but working on my lap and unable to get one of the nuts on - I managed to loose it. I have been wearing thin shorts around the house for weeks due to the weather.

I probed down around the recliner for the nut, looked around the floor

- nothing, so I gave up and left the project one nut short. Part of the job, involved some work in my loft electronics workshop, so up I went and did that next, before having to get changed and go out.

My final act at around midnight, was to go back up in the loft and see if I could track down a suitable nut amongst my oddments box. There, sat on the carpet of the loft floor, was the the missing 1.2mm nut. Trying to screw it onto my bolt, I quickly worked out why I had struggled to fit it in the morning - the nut had no thread. Suitable replacement found in my oddments box...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thin shorts, lost nut... imagination went elsewhere.

Reply to
Richard

Wow, a threadless nut. The mind boggles how such a thing was possible as one imagines all that was done by a machine and as we all know, only humans make mistakes :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Similar thing happened to us on Friday. Daughter, mate and I went out for a ride on our motorbikes and we stopped off at a few places on the way.

We ended up back here and when mate went to leave it appeared his battery was flat! ;-(

Well, it wasn't flat as the off-load terminal voltage was around 13V (it was pretty warm out) but under any load dropped to more like 9. Put my portable Lithium jump starter pack on it and it fired up instantly but pulling the jump battery off, the engine died straight away.

So, as a stopgap I dug out a suitable spare battery to test / loan but could only find one of the two special captive nuts such batteries use, so we dived round to the local bike shop and bought a new (dry-filled) battery. Whilst there I asked if they had such special nuts in stock but they didn't but then I spotted one (and just one) on their old battery pile. ;-)

They let me take it and back home we fitted my spare battery and tested everything was working (like starting and charging etc) and then I filled the new battery and after letting it stand for some time, put it on my Optomate overnight for a good bench / forming charge.

Whilst working in the garden yesterday I spotted a complete set of the battery nuts and bolts I must have removed from a bike battery I was scrapping and this has prompted me to make a special storage place for such valuable things. ;-)

I thought you were going to say you found the missing nut in the turn-up of your shorts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds a bit like an apport. But it's very unusual to find the item again in such cases. It normally ends up in some parallel universe, never to be seen again.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Peas and rubber erasers tend to do this. Especially when they fall on a patterned mat.

Reply to
Max Demian