I have a Murray 12hp, when I turn the key it clicks. I did the
troubleshooting suggested in other threads, but the solenoid is hidden
so it was difficult to short the posts. So instead, I used a heavy
cable, attached one end with a spade terminal to the positive post on
the battery, and touched the other end to the large post with the red
wire on the starter. Current was definately flowing thru the cable,
which got warm. I could see a little sparking when the wire initially
touched, and the point of contact would glow if I left it on there for
more than a quick touch. The starter didn't move or make a sound.
Electrically, that's the same as shorting the solenoid posts right?
Or is there anything else inline betw. the solenoid and starter? I
dont think so, therefore I beleive the starter is fried. Correct? I
just want to verify my results before I spend the $ on a new starter..