If you have a diesel car, look out.

Bollocks. Emission control in the US killed lean burn. And Europe followed the US in such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And trucks and vans. Before you even mention private cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also I believe that quite a large proportion of the particle pollution is down to tyre dust, that comes from all types of vehicle, even electric ones.

Reply to
Chris Green

... or even waiving it! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Worse than what? Since new (now 15 months and 14k miles), my Auris has averaged 55mpg.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The reality is that to live the lifestyle we have reached in the UK actions by a large number of the population are going to impact on the health of large numbers as well,some drastically others only a little. There is a limit to what you can do about it unless some can go back to living as it was before the industrial revolution which would mean exterminating a huge number of people to make that aim achievable. So what?s the option ,live like we do now taking practical measures and accept that some may lose a year or two of life or live like people did in the 1600?s when there was less air pollution but death often occurred from causes we routinely get over now.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Well you say this, but given how small the amount of rubber that actually amounts to given the length of time tires last, compared to the amount of fuel consumed over the same period, I'm at a loss to see how it's a "large proportion".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Pretty well all diesels will smoke if pushed - especially after a period of more gentle use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My father had a Morris Minor in the early 50s which averaged over 50 mpg in the time he had it -about 3 years. And being a salesman with a company car didn't exactly drive it with economy in mind. True there was less traffic then, but then roads had more corners etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But harry is not going to let facts stand in his way.

Reply to
ARW

VW, Audi, Skoda, etc.

Reply to
dennis

TNPs anti EU views are beginning to make him look irrational. It makes you wonder if all his views are irrational.

Reply to
dennis

Recent VWs smoke and they don't get an MOT for three years.

Reply to
dennis

They canned them because they couldn't meet the emissions laws while CAT equipped cars could.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Tim Streater writes

For a start, this excerpt is from

As shown in the above analysis, tyre dust emissions due to tyre protector wear (in g/km) significantly (by 6-7 times) exceeds emissions of particulate matters with exhaust gases of passenger car engines. Emissions of firm particles as a result of wear of tyres protector on vehicles of up to 3.5 tons GVW reach 0.,051 g/km, which already almost 5 times exceeds the provisions of the UN Regulation No. 83 on emissions of particle matters for the engines installed on those vehicles

Reply to
Bill

165 now 166 posts and no one has mentioned ADBLUE! >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

toyota-diesel-engine-UK

A huge and terrible mistake. A simple advance in filtering for diesels is all it would take to make them way more e-friendly than petrol. Even as things stand, they are far more efficient and produce less carbon than petrol!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In which case why are we worrying about it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

??

6 times the particulates from tyres as opposed to engines might be worth worrying about, especially as moving to batteries won't help. It would also explain why particulates seem to concentrate at corners.

Actually, the more reports you read, the less clear any of this becomes, which is why singling out diesels looks more like faddish nonsense than ever.

Reply to
Bill

All VWs presumably.

Reply to