If you have a diesel car, look out.

Room temperature superconductors - one day, maybe, if only, ...

Reply to
Andrew

That's NOx (which is produced by petrol engines too) - I don't see any mention of soot particulates that a DPF will catch.

NOx again.

That does mention PMs - but doesn't seem to address whether DPFs are effective or not.

NOx

says DPFs can remove PMs >- 0.02um (PM2.5 refers to 2.5um)

Reply to
Tim Watts

The ones >9-10 years old that didn't need DPFs or the ones wher ethe owner has illegally removed the DPF?

Sure - I have seen some belchers only this week - I didn't not see the number plate for the age and I can't be sure if the vehicle has been modified (which I just found out carries a fine of £1000 if caught).

I'm challenging the assertion that DPFs don't work, not whether there are a number of smoking vehicles on the road (which is true).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dost sir take me for a moron :)

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

You know, I have a rear view mirror...

Reply to
Tim Watts

charles

You better tell these people who make them that they are wrong then.

It seems to be an accepted term to describe a motor with associated components that are installed to propel a vehicle.

GH

Reply to
Marland

"They" would make a better start by

(a) identifying and then forcibly removing from the roads all the thousands and thousands of crappy old vans and trucks which are hammering around belching poison -- poisons which you can *see*. never mind smell, and never mind the invisible "new" poisons that "they" discovered in the last couple of years or so. (How do such vehicles ever pass an MOT???)

and

(b) doing something to enable the heavy goods industry to stop using diesel engines --- duh -- how you gonna manage *that*, ever, in this century?? How many diesel cars is one diesel truck worth, in terms of pollution?

John

Reply to
Another John

And I'd guess we're doing significantly more miles per person

Reply to
RJH

BMWs driven spiritedly are some of the worst offenders I?ve seen. Now it?s always possible that these have been ?chipped? but it?s by no means rare to see a smoking BMW under acceleration.

You must live on a different planet from me then.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I?m sure that some DPFs do work. I was following an Audi A8 diesel being seriously hoofed the other day (left my Cooper S for dead) and there was not a hint of smoke.

However, one working DPF doesn?t prove that they all work as well or for the full life of the car. The number of new smoking diesels that I regularly see makes me suspicious. Remember, manufacturers only have to produce a system that?s compliant at the time of manufacture, after that they just have to meet far looser MOT standards.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Um, not as I remember it. It was the decision to go for catalytic converters to reduce emissions that forced the use of stochiometric mixtures that sealed the fate of lean burn technology. Nothing to do with promoting diesel.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You really have to me laying a lot of smoke to see it in your mirror. It?s no way to make any sort of quantitative assessment. Try filming your exhaust. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If every vehicle in London were electric, they'd simply apply congestion charges to all, and pollution taxes for all vehicles with rubber tyres of a width greater than those of a bicycle. It's all about the money.

Reply to
Richard

Ironical that you will have as likely passed close to Porton Down if you come from that side regularly,at least it means the experts are close to hand.

Porton Down has some dubious history of its own,

Explains some the weirdos who live around Salisbury?s poorer bits like Bremerton Heath I suppose.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Once you decide on a fixed speed or whatever for an IC engine, the difference between diesel and petrol narrows. It is pumping losses which make a petrol engine so much less efficient at part load than a diesel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did VW a power of good, then.

Do you even think before spouting your s**te?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except we're not. We are going electric or hybrid.

Reply to
Nightjar

Says much about your powered of observation. Had your eyes tested recently?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How can you generalise about overall MPG? It depends on the use the vehicle gets. Which is why official figures are such a joke.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only to an extent. Cars over the years have got much larger and heavier. And have lots more toys which also consume power. All of this means more fuel is needed for a given job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)