Should i flip this car

2011 murano 110,000 Mint in and out. Needs tranny 1000 bucks Daughter car not that that matters New tires but need a 30 mile tow
Reply to
Thomas

With a tranny it would be a ~ $ 6500. car in Canada in Canuck Bucks. .. not sure about replacing the CVT tranny - especially if it's a common failure - the wreckers will be sold out .. I'd ask a good honest tranny shop about it. Make sure the engine is OK .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Worth scrap price as is. Check for a used tranny and it should give you a payback. As is, you may find someone willing to take on the project and give you a few hundred.

Your biased opinion aside,there is no such thing as a mint car with

110,000 miles.

With a tranny working you can get 5-7 thou depending on model and options. Check out the price to have it rebuilt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is a reason Nissan vehicles are over-represented in scrapo yards (particularly around here) with many of them looking WAY to good to be scrapped - scrapped due to repairs to trans or engine/emissions being more than the car is worth. A few less now since the e-test is gone.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I will respectfully dissagree. I've seen cars in mint condition with

250,000 KM - you could put them on the showroom floor and be hard pressed to tell it from a car that had never been sold - and not burning ANY oil between changes - with perfect compression and oil pressure. What high standard do you have for "mint" condition?

Does it have to excede Hagerty's #2 condition??? (Excellent not concours) Most cars over the last 40 years aren't "concours" from the factory or show-room floor.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

i would probably trade it in but would be reticent to get a new Nissan after hearing that their quality has slipped considerably in the last 10 years and major problems with their CVT. $1,000 seems cheap for a tranny repair and may not last long.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

About 3 years ago my son had a Nissan with the CVT that went out at about 130,000 miles. Nissan would not do anything about it as it was

10,000 out of the extended warrenty that Nissan put on that transmission after many of they went out. Cost him around $ 4000 to get it repaired.

He got rid of that junker after another year or so.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I bet I could go over his car and find a couple of dozen points. Totally restored may qualify but the typical every day car in far from mint. My brother restored cars for many years so I've seen various conditions. The typical Joe Sixpack often descibes their car as "mint" but it is not.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Take a pass on the car, drop the $1,000 into the stock market. Leave it there; you'll come out way ahead

Reply to
Wade Garrett

We had a Nissan Sentra ca 1990 that was a great car but traded it in when repair value was approaching book value. Apparently quality started going downhill when they partnered with Renault after 2000.

I had a CVT on a 2016 Subaru Forester that got totaled in 2019 replaced with a Subaru Crosstrek with CVT. I like the CVT and get great mileage. Hopefully some of the early problems with this type transmission have been ironed out by now.

Google sez:

Are Jatco CVT reliable? Nissan subsidiary Jatco supplies many of the world's automakers with CVT transmissions. Nissan vehicles have been featuring CVTs for 15 years, but they've demonstrated less than stellar reliability. ... CVTs. Lots of other Nissan owners have also known the scourge, even after Jatco took steps to improve reliability.May 23, 2018

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I prefer the lived in look.

Reply to
rbowman

How about just real nice. My silver coins are real nice too.

Reply to
Thomas

That is possible. Mint would be less than 100 miles on the OEM tires, no measurable wear on brake pads or rotors, perfect carpeting, perfect seats. Engine compartment with no drips, stains, dust, visible wear.

Just as your coins, if they came from the mint to you, yes. if in circulation, no.

I do know of a '66 Mustang in mint condition. The guy bought it and drove from the dealer to his garage and parked it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread. Seems they took the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars. Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

Reply to
trader_4

The variable speed pulley thing goes back to the 1940s. My dad had it on a Minneapolis Moline set up as a combine. Those became the New Idea Uni System. One could use those as a corn picker, combine, or hay chopper. Dad's had a normal three? speed transmission plus the variable speed. A V belt connected two pulleys that could expand or contract. I think there was an arm connecting them so one expanded while the other contracted keeping the belt tight.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Since 2006 in some Nissan ; 2008 in some Mitzubishi. John T.

Reply to
hubops

At the time it was touted as the future of automatics. No one else has joined in though. Now, 6 and 8 speed trannys are normal and have good performance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess Mazda is reviving the Wankel engine. Then there is this thing.

Dean Hoffman

CVT's do continue to proliferate as I believe they are cheaper to make with less parts and give improved mileage.

I was hearing this about Toyota's that include a low gear to start:

"Toyota brands the K120 as the Direct Shift-CVT and includes a physical first gear (also known as a "launch gear") and nine additional simulated gears, for a total of 10. The launch gear is engaged when the car takes off from being stopped and transitions to the belt drive once the car picks up speed."

Gets around one concern that CVT is sluggish to start.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Wikipedia says a whole lot of cars are available with CVT in certain models. Something like 200 different vehicles, although there are vehicles on the list that I haven't heard of so maybe it's an International list.

Jim Joyce