Proposed diesel car penalties - E-Petition

There is an E-Petition against the proposed new diesel car penalties. If anyone feels inclined to sign it, it can be found at...

The link is:-

Harry Bloomfield

IMO, the only thing that a petition ever achieves is to give the person signing the feeling that they are doing something.

Reply to
Nightjar

They might have more influence if there was a way to prevent multiple petitions on very similar issues. You're right with the way the government have set it up, to very effectively dilute any protest.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Even if an e-petition gets the requisite 100,000 signatures, all that guarantees is that it will be put before the Backbench Business Committee to be considered for debate. If no MP chooses to support the petition, it goes no further. If an MP does support it, that still only gets it to the stage of being considered for debate. The Backbench Business Committee still has to decide that the subject is topical, that there will be enough interest from MPs and that the subject has not already had a response in some other form. Then there has to be nothing more important to debate and there has to be backbench time available. If it passes all those hurdles, it gets a debate, which doesn't actually commit anybody to doing anything.

In all, 17 e-petitions have been debated since October 2011.

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , Nightjar In all, 17 e-petitions have been debated since October 2011.

Have any succeeded in their aim?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Difficult to know whether the 2011 application for the release of government documents on the Hillsborough disaster had anything to do with the decision more than a year later by the Attorney General to apply for the original inquest verdicts to be overturned.

Otherwise, not much success that I can see. Babar Ahmed was not put on trial in the UK, The Health Bill was not dropped, I don't think that air ambulances get the VAT back on their fuel payments, I haven't noticed any restriction on immigration from Bulgaria and Romania since they joined the EU and the longest (1 full day) and best supported (4 MPs) debate didn't stop the badger cull.

Reply to
Nightjar

I bet all of those 17 had more than the current 24 signatures...

Reply to
Adrian

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 16:23:10 +0100, Nightjar best supported (4 MPs)

And, just as a reminder, that is out of SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY.

Reply to
Adrian

The one on road tolling appears to have had the desired effect

I do believe that TPTB thought that they could get this through until they found out the strength of the opposition from normal people.

Though I agree in principle with you and can't see this one making a difference.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I thought there was a new type of retrofit gadget to remove Nitrous Oxide from these around. Certainly Boris the Mayor is making big claims for fitting his Diesel busses with it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well not entirely, If you listen to the commons, you hear them beingdiscussed from time to time. Obviously someone needs to do a survey on it to see if it moves opinions. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It actually worked better under uncle Tony than the current lot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A LOT easier to retrofit that kind of tech to a bus or truck than to a car, for packaging reasons as well as cost-effectiveness reasons. Nobody's going to spend a very thick chunk of the value of their car on fitting a doofus to the exhaust (which their insurer will then class as a modification).

Reply to
Adrian

Doesn't tell me anything - what's it all about?

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , tim..... writes

My Hilux is already unwelcome just inside the M25. The Fiesta is fitted with a DPF spit! and was built post 2006 anyway. One way or another, I don't care:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You can still smell the exhaust from a Boris bus.

Why didn't they use LPG? Merton council have LPG dustcarts. Engine are much quieter than diesel, and the exhaust should be cleaner than any other.

I dunno about relative running costs though if there is no tax on the fuel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many new diesel cars are fitted with particulate filters. And it seems it is the thing to remove these. Dunno why. And it's not something which is tested at MOT time.

It's interesting to drive out of London on the M4. After the flyover, the speed limit for that stops, and most accelerate up to 70. Uphill. And most of the diesels leave a smoke screen - even newish ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When you say "the thing", you mean that some smart alecs do it?

Had a twerp at work boasting about removing the catalytic converter and replacing with a straight pipe in his VW Scirocco. This was in California is the 80s. He used to temporarily replace the converter every two years when it was due for the emissions test.

Reply to
Tim Streater

All new cars sold in the EU from next year have to meet the European emission standard 6. Any car meeting that standard is exempt from the charge.

Reply to
Nightjar

An extra £10 to drive into London from 2020 if you drive a diesel car and it doesn't meet what is currently the highest European emission standard EURO 6. Some German cities simply ban any cars that don't meet EURO 4 and don't display a sticker to that effect.

Reply to
Nightjar