Proposed diesel car penalties - E-Petition

Why should I sign a petition asking that London should contain more nitrous oxide and carcinogenic smoke?

(I haven't driven into London since the last millennium. I take the train)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The Other Mike

Bugger this saving the planet nonsense. If you have a vehicle (manufacturer spec suspension) that is low to the ground with a grands worth or more of catalyst that gets dinged when you either drop into a pothole or try to negotiate a pillow type speed hump and which subsequently disintegrates internally over the course of a typical year meaning you fail the emissions test then maybe you'd do the same. It's the only thing to do.

Reply to
The Other Mike

What about foreigners?

Reply to
The Other Mike

I'm sure the cabbies will all be delighted as even the latest TX4 is only Euro V

MNAAW.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So you can have a bit of a laugh?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you've got higher ground clearance, some scrote will half-inch the cat.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You could buy a better car.

Reply to
dennis

No evidence of speed bumps in California (not then, at any rate). The same twerp also used to boast of doing 100mph on the freeway to get to work, slipstreaming behind some other twerp also doing the ton.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So what effect is this going to have on coach companies bringing provincial customers into London?

Reply to
Capitol

I agree with you - despite living only a few miles from the CC area. I think I've paid the charge twice. On both occasions couldn't have done what was needed by PT.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've no doubt busses etc will be exempt. Otherwise, the vast majority of TFL busses would be banned too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All large commercial vehicles entering the Low Emission Zone already have to comply with Euro 4 standards, either from new or by retrofitting a catalytic converter (About £5000 fitted), and there is a published schedule which tells us when they will need to comply with Euro 5 and then Euro 6 standards. The current fine for not complying is £200 per day in the zone. All lorries, coaches and buses made within the last five years or slightly more comply with the rules.

It is already required that all new large commercials vehicles comply with the Euro 5 standards, and Euro 6 isn't far down the line, with many already complying.

Reply to
John Williamson

Anyone know when Euro 5 came in? (for cars I mean).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wasn't an E-petition one of the things that contributed to the end of the petrol tax escalator?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you don't have the sticker, you are not allowed to enter the controlled zone and can be fined on the spot. However, they are quite easy to obtain. I bought mine from the city of Berlin, who seemed to be the cheapest at EUR 6. I simply emailed the relevant department with a copy of my V5. They looked at that, checked the emissions and sent me back a green '4' sticker with my car registration on.

Reply to
Nightjar

Full details here:

There are some Euro 6 cars on the market at the moment.

Reply to
Nightjar

Quite difficult to tell how much that owes to a debate that happened two years previously. I have no doubt that those campaigning for it would have explored other routes as well.

Reply to
Nightjar

May well have contributed. But as a 'green' tax was going to be very unpopular anyway. Especially with tory voters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I should, perhaps, add that the signs marking the Umweltzone (environmental zone) are often quite unobtrusive and easy to miss.

As you will see from the map and list of cities here, there are lots of places with environmental zones

Nightjar