Got a classic car?

Well maybe for not much longer.
WEST MIDLANDS MEP MIKE NATTRASS
Issue Date: Monday, September 10 2012
Visit Mike's web-site at: www.ukipmep.org
MEP fears new EU plans could spell the end of the road for many classic cars
UKIP Transport spokesman Mike Nattrass has blasted Brussels bureaucrats who are maneuvering to bring in draconian rules which could see many modified and classic cars disappear from British roads.
The West Midlands MEP, who is a member of the EUs Transport and Tourism Committee, fears EU moves to overhaul MOT rules could have dire consequences for the automotive industry and classic car enthusiasts.
Interfering Eurocrats are attempting to push through radical changes to MOT rules across Europe which would make modified vehicles illegal.
The EU is proposing major changes on how the roadworthiness of vehicles is assessed. This latest Brussels drive could see many cars automatically failing their MOT test for having minor modifications such as updated brake lights and different windscreen wipers.
Bodies such as the Federation of British Historic Vehicles Clubs (FBHVC) and the Association of Car Enthusiasts have attacked the proposals which they say could cost jobs and hit motorists in the pocket.
Commenting on the proposals, UKIP Transport spokesman Mike Nattrass, who owns a 1956 Sunbeam Talbot, said: These plans would lead to major changes to MOT rules in Britain and across Europe.
The envisaged changes to the road licensing system would have massive implications for all motorists and the car industry as a whole.
Under the plans, a vehicle would automatically fail its MOT test if its technical specifications was found to differ from the technical specification it had when it rolled off the production line.
The FBHVC is right to say these plans are pie-in-the-sky as modifications to vehicles, particularly older ones, are common.
These plans are attack on motorists, classic car enthusiasts and the car industry. I will raise this issue in the European Parliament and fight to put this latest EU drive in reverse, he added.
ENDS
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:26:02 -0700, harry wrote:

How would that work then ? I once uprated an old FIAT 500 by fitting a 126 engine-gearbox combination. Gave you 650cc, and synchromesh, and unless you compared the engine number, was visually indistinguishable from the original. You'd only know if you put it on a dynometer.
In article

[snip]
This has been doing the rounds for ages.
And it doesn't just affect classic cars. It states in principle that only identical spare parts can be used on any vehicle. Including near new ones. Which would mean in practice, only those sold by the car maker. So no fitting Pirelli tyres instead of Continental. Or Mintex brake pads. Or a Halfords battery.
It looks to me like this was put forward and drafted by the car makers. With the parts about classic cars simply added to make it look like it's about safety or whatever.
The implications are so far reaching it hasn't a hope of making it into law. It could also be yet another of the silly season EU scares that the Mail etc loves so much. The curve of a banana, anyone? 'Our' chocolate having to be called something else because it's made to a different recipe than in some EU countries. Etc.
--
*El nino made me do it

Hmm. Mine's only 12 years old, and the original tyres are out of production...
Andy
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:12:00 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

Sorry, you'll have to scrap the entire car.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dammit, I've got a generic tail-light bulb from Halfrauds in my car, I'll need to turn myself in.
OTOH my MOT tester obviously didn't inspect the car properly; maybe if I shop them to the authorities they'll let me off.
-- Halmyre

Not mine as it will be MOT and Tax exempt in a months time. :)
-
Mark wrote:

You're taking it off the road or exporting it?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

wrote in message

Nether http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326
-

Makes no difference. It will still have to comply to the regs. So any modifications whatsoever you've made to it will be illegal. Including, say, changing the dynamo for an alternator, or fitting radial tyres where it had crossplies. This directive sets out to remove such cars from the road completely. You'll only be able to trailer them to shows.
--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

wrote in message : : > >Well maybe for not much longer. : > > : > >fears EU moves to overhaul MOT rules could have : > >dire consequences classic car enthusiasts. : : > Not mine as it will be MOT and Tax exempt in a months time. :) : : Makes no difference. It will still have to comply to the regs. So any : modifications whatsoever you've made to it will be illegal. Including, : say, changing the dynamo for an alternator, or fitting radial tyres where : it had crossplies. This directive sets out to remove such cars from the : road completely. You'll only be able to trailer them to shows.
<Pedant Mode>
Surely you won't even be doing that unless your car came off the production line with a towbar fitted?
</Pedant Mode>
;)

It would, of course, be a maker's accessory. They could fit a jet engine and it would apparently be ok for this legislation.
--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

For years now towbars have to be type approved. In other words, if you weld one up it won't pass.
Bill

For years now towbars have to be type approved. In other words, if you weld one up it won't pass.
Bill
Something that most of the scaremongers seem to have missed is that the proposals also call for the regular testing of trailers. It is I think already done in some EU countries so to level the playing field the suggestion is to do it in all. Now, if you have to test all trailers you need a database of all trailers so along comes trailer registration.
This one will run and run.
Malcolm

I wonder if my 1953 Sankey trailer will need registering?
Mike
In message

It's very Tuv to pass
--
geoff

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:34:10 -0700 (PDT)

In the US, generally, they don't even have the equivalent of an MOT, but usually trailers have their own license numbers. The thinking behind the lack of a test is that the number of accidents caused by faulty cars is small compared with the total of accidents, and the cost of administering a test would be exorbitant. It's a different approach, in this case by Michigan some years ago, when it was brought up for discussion. But 3 year-old cars, and older, need an emissions test. -- Davey.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:47:23 +0100, Davey wrote:

Yes, that's exactly how it is where I am (northern MN). It varies by state though, and I expect is ofted tied to population density (bugger- all people around here, so chances of a faulty vehicle causing injury to someone else or damage to their property is low).
I do see quite a few interesting repairs :-)
cheers
Jules
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Pretty much the same in the hinterlands here. Before the car test came in there was a high proportion of really shite old cars (not just well-built older ones that were natural survivors, but shiteheaps that were truly dangerous), however, very few actually caused any accidents.

Same as above - total bodges that worked.

Modern traffic conditions require modern standards. Which is why I was particularly incensed about the 'no mods' bit. Many classics had brakes, for example, which were barely adequate in their day - let alone now. And the MOT only tests that they brake evenly at low speeds. The same applies to headlights and tyres - although at least tyres are a service item that hopefully will have kept pace with developments.
--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.