Got a classic car?

It's very Tuv to pass

Reply to
geoff

In the US, generally, they don't even have the equivalent of an MOT, but usually trailers have their own license numbers. The thinking behind the lack of a test is that the number of accidents caused by faulty cars is small compared with the total of accidents, and the cost of administering a test would be exorbitant. It's a different approach, in this case by Michigan some years ago, when it was brought up for discussion. But 3 year-old cars, and older, need an emissions test.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Dammit, I've got a generic tail-light bulb from Halfrauds in my car, I'll need to turn myself in.

OTOH my MOT tester obviously didn't inspect the car properly; maybe if I shop them to the authorities they'll let me off.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Yes, that's exactly how it is where I am (northern MN). It varies by state though, and I expect is ofted tied to population density (bugger- all people around here, so chances of a faulty vehicle causing injury to someone else or damage to their property is low).

I do see quite a few interesting repairs :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Pretty much the same in the hinterlands here. Before the car test came in there was a high proportion of really s**te old cars (not just well-built older ones that were natural survivors, but shiteheaps that were truly dangerous), however, very few actually caused any accidents.

Same as above - total bodges that worked.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Modern traffic conditions require modern standards. Which is why I was particularly incensed about the 'no mods' bit. Many classics had brakes, for example, which were barely adequate in their day - let alone now. And the MOT only tests that they brake evenly at low speeds. The same applies to headlights and tyres - although at least tyres are a service item that hopefully will have kept pace with developments.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I'm fully in favour of ditching old drums and fitting discs, of junking dynamos and replacing with alternators and modern lighting. To the point where I simply don't understand those fools who want to restore their Moggy to dynamo, positive earth, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well I do, if only to show how ghastly the thing was.

Its mot my choice, to be sure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Usually the sort of car you drool over at shows - better than new under the bonnet. But to have a car like that means it's simply not driven much, if at all. I've actually done more miles in the SD1 than the daily driver in the past year. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really? The Minor had just about the purest steering of any car of that period - and with better feel than most today. And a very pleasant gearbox. As well as no chance of missing it in the supermarket car park. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wasn't it the nearside front wheel that was fond of taking a direction all of its own?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes - a swivel could break. Possibly through poor maintenance - in those days steering parts needed greasing every few thousand miles. My BMW managed to break both of its front struts too. So even CAD can't prevent such failures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OF THAT PERIOD.

- and with better feel than most today.

Nope.Leastways not the cars I drive these days.

And a very pleasant

It was OK. A bit notchy.

As well as no chance of missing it in the supermarket car park.

depends. Back then it was teh commonest make of small car.

Mind you, not sure there WERE any supermarkets

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Either. Kingpin/trunnion design was utter s**te; and yet, essentially the same system was used on the Marina, none of which collapsed. Still shit on the Marina, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There is no power steering system that even gets close to a decent non powered type. I'm guessing it's a very long time since you drove a car without.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Best manual box I've had was in a TR7 (US model). Best auto was the rubber band device in the Roover 45.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh yes, I remember that - a colleague was calling round to borrow some tools from me and his steering collapsed as he was turning into the road - took him a while to get it moved... Unfortunately the road was a cul de sac and he was blocking it - didn't make him popular!

Reply to
docholliday93

The strange thing is it only ever happened at very slow speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My favourite was on an early Viva van. Almost like throwing a well engineered light switch. You really could change gear with one finger - and as fast as you could move the lever.

Might be on a vehicle with a totally silent engine. But since they don't exist I prefer one with definite ratios.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My wife has had free new struts on her car, after a recall. Turn-of-the millennium Suzuki Swift, in case anyone hasn't had it done.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ