scrap car batteries - how much do scrappies pay?

scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?
Jim K

Well lead scrap current going rate is 70p/kg, so if battery about 10Kg probably a fiver!
Andy

Batteries seem to track at 50% of the clean lead scrap price, so about 50p currently
AJH
Sun, 31 Mar 2013, snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk remarked:

If that 50% of the weight of the battery, or 50% of the weight of the lead in a battery (which is apparently about 60% of the total).

Which is exactly a fiver for a 10Kg battery, although the one I replaced was 14Kg.
--
Roland Perry

The 70 amp.hr one I got a fiver for more like 18 Kg. About a year ago.
--
*Starfishes have no brains *

I infer the weight of the whole battery is worth 50% of the clean lead value.
http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metals/non-ferrous-metals
AJH
Sun, 31 Mar 2013, snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk remarked:

Right, so you are getting 50% of the battery weight rather than 60%. That's not too bad of a discount, given that the scrappie has to break it apart, dispose of the plastic and acid etc.
--
Roland Perry

On 31/03/13 14:50, Roland Perry wrote:

That is not done.
The acid is part of lead smelting anyway - lead sulphide its the usual ore: when visited a big lead smelters in france they were also smashing batteries and it all to the mix and dealing with the acid as part of their general processing.
"Galena, the most common mineral of lead, is primarily lead sulfide (PbS). The sulfide is oxidized to a sulfite (PbSO3) which thermally decomposes into lead oxide and sulfur dioxide gas. (PbO and SO2) The sulfur dioxide (like the carbon dioxide in the example above) is expelled, and the lead oxide is reduced. Anglesite, Cerussite, Pyromorphite, Mimetite and Wulfenite are other lead ores.
Other elements frequently present with lead ores include zinc and silver.[2]"
--
Ineptocracy

And they shut down Didcot because it was producing too much sulphur?
Andy
On 01/04/2013 21:43, Andy Champ wrote:

No, they shut down Didcot because of Green Politics.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
^^^^^^^^
I read that as Marmite.
Need. More. Sleep.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr) was about a fiver.
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

That's interesting, the local (national chain) Tyre/Battery/Exhaust place wanted to *charge* me a couple of quid to "dispose of" the old one. I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.
--
Roland Perry

you paid nothing becasue you were a private individual. Trade waste costs money to dispose of.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Does it cost more than a fiver each to get a scrappie to collect a bulk order of scrap car batteries? (Such that the fiver each he pays you doesn't cover the cost of ringing him up to come round and collect them?)
--
Roland Perry

At one of the council scrap yards I've used, all the lead acid batteries are chucked into a skip. I have visions of the driver trying to lift it up and wondering why all the batteries are still on the ground and the skip has no bottom. At another site, they're all stacked carefully, keeping them the right way up.
I don't recall the dates now, but something like 20 years ago, the industry got around 90% of dead car batteries back to the manufacturers for recycling, because the value of them was enough to pay for their return. Then the government introduced recycling certificates to make sure none of them were being discarded, and the recyling rate plummeted due to having to buy the certificates and process paperwork for each dead battery. As lead prices have risen, this does now cover the recyling paperwork overhead and the recycling rate has risen again.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Every site I've seen has them collected in a special rubberised container about 2m^3.
--
Roland Perry

On 30/03/2013 15:25, Roland Perry wrote:

Last time I put one in there I was splashed by the rain water at the bottom.
I wasn't able to check it was rainwater, but since my fingers didn't start to hurt it must have been.
Andy