Scrap car battery.

I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard. So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that translates to batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Our local scrap car/metal merchant pays close to 50p/kg for batteries, that is they just weigh the batteries on their scales and pay accordingly.

Reply to
Chris Green

I've no idea about thr value, but when you factor in fuel for making a trip and your time, it may be worth just hanging onto it until you are next going to your council recycling centre and just giving it to them. That's what I did with the last two (admittedly smaller) batteries.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Don't scrap it, fix it!

Clive Arthur

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

Reply to
charles

The last time I took a car full of stuff (inc probably 10 batteries) I got nearly £100 and being retired and the scrap yard probably only 1 mile away, very much 'worth my time'. ;-)

For me that would be a longer drive and without the fiscal incentive. ;-)

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I've had what I thought was a reasonably well obscured battery lifted off my front drive and caught another red handed not long after (likely the same person).

A loud 'OY!' was enough to get his attention and the suggestion that he might put it back pronto ... it being theft and he was on CCTV ... was enough for him to do so (with a sheepish 'sorry mate'). I just happened to be out the front but a few doors along. ;-)

You can generally determine when the prices are up on such things when they are taken like that.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think ours is called a 'Metals recycling centre'.

I would think most are now days?

I'm perfectly happy with that and the funds are normally in my account before we get home (1 mile).

Sounds posh. ;-)

We also have a PCB recycling centre fairly close and to my surprise, a small box of old motherboards and other PCBs earned me a cheque for £26. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've actually got more than one. As has a pal who lives nearby. So taking them all in one go should be worth it. I'll make sure I increase the pressure in the rear tyres. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Think I'd rather get my lead from petrol. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That *could* be done safely in a fume hood ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz
<snip>

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque cashing service on the same premises ;)

Reply to
Robin

But some of them are happy to take the contents of stolen catalytic converters without asking too many questions though.

Reply to
Andrew

GME would only pay into my bank account- and they neeeded proof of that account being mine,

Reply to
charles

That's why there are no more metal thefts these days!

Reply to
alan_m

For a 10% charge.

Reply to
ARW

Current wholesale price is 47p/kg.

Alan

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

Reply to
John Smith

And presumably same with fridge / freezer compressors?

When a household dumps a fridge outside on the pavement, hardly a day passes by, before someone has arrived, extracted the motor and driven off - leaving nothing but the fridge and a small cloud of refrigerant gas ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

For both of the two that I got rid off, they sat for a month or more outside the front door until I got round to a tip run.

Reply to
Steve Walker