Wallwart to replace car battery?

One of my kids came home from Xmas shopping with a very tasteful(??) illuminated Xmas decoration for her bedroom, but when she got in she discovered that unfortunately(??) it had a cigar lighter plug and was intended for use in a car.

This "thing" includes ten 2.5V 0.5W bulbs, and the blurb says it wants a

12V/5W power supply (and must be used only with a car battery etc etc). I tested it with a spare wallwart from my Useful Box, rated at 9V / 200mA / 1.8VA and it illuminates the bulbs fine. But could someone just confirm it's OK to do this long-term, ie that I can't overheat the PSU or something daft?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Sounds like you're under-running the bulbs. I'm guessing that they're wired as two paralel strings of 5 bulbs in series, thus expecting a design voltage of 12.5V. Running this on 9V will make them glow, but more orange and at a fair bit less power. If your PSU was providing 12V then it would probably be significantly under-powered at that current rating. However at 9V if it's working OK so far, then I'd be happy to use it - the total power demand drops off a lot because you're under-running them.

Don't wrap the PSU in anything flammable and check that it isn't running too hot (by touching it). Apart from that, I'd happily use it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , Lobster writes

Although the lights will use less power on 9W, the supply you're using is waaay underrated for the job having only 40% of the required capacity and will almost certainly overheat. Get digging in the bin again & find one rated

9V 400mA or 12V 500mA :-).

- fred Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Reply to
fred

Watts are the same as VA for a load like this - your lights would need a

5W supply at 12V (probably 3-4 W at 9V) but yours is rated at less than 2W. These wallwarts usually have a fuseable link built-in to the transformer, I wouldn't be too surprised if it gave up after a while.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A 12v 5 watt supply suggests at basics that the load is 29 ohms.

9 volts into 29 ohms will draw 0.31 amps, or 310 mA.

All approx, of course, but you're sailing very close to the wind.

A 12 volt 500mA wall wart shouldn't cost much. If they are incandescent lamps you could probably use an AC one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It will probably burn out the transformer. If it was a resistive load, it would draw 2.8W (or 2.8VA) which is considerably larger than the rating. However, the bulbs are probably not ohms-law compliant and the situation could actually be worse than this.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well according to that lot your either fine or about to be toasted. I can't decide which. Lectrics are confuddling. Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

You can get 12V PSUs (try a caravan shop) with cigar lighter sockets fitted! Useful for priming those coolboxes, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

OK... I also have an old 14V / 500mA wallwart (that's the nearest alternative):

So, 14V into 29 ohms = 483mA! Sounds like that would that run OK without setting fire to my daughter, then?

Not a chance! This monstrosity she's bought only cost her a quid (it uses Xmas tree bulbs AFAICS) and I'm not going out to buy one specially... no further than a rake through the garage!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Should be OK - if they really are designed for a car this is about the 'on charge' voltage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but you will shorten the bulb life considerably. They'll burn bright though!

Thinking about it, it's likely that this decoration will be thrown out after xmas, right? Go for it.

I must have half a dozen 12V 500mA and anther half dozen 12V 1A psus in my drawer. Unfortunately the time and hassle of packaging and posting is just a little too high :-(

Reply to
Grunff

2.5/0.5W = 200mA. So, 400ma for 2 strings.

In other words, yes, you are probably running the PSU at somewhere over double its ratings. Probably the cheapest PSU would be an old PC one...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It would have to be a very old one then. Most computer PSUs will not output 12 Volts until the mobo gives the thumbs up on the 5 Volt line.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hey, I'd forgotten all about that as an option!! I've got an ancient one here which says: max output 145W; then DC Voltage /Max current = +12V / 4.2A

Sounds like just the job, yes?!!

David

Reply to
Lobster

By the time you've finished faffing around sorting out a dummy load for the

5V to make it start up properly you'd be as well using the 14V number and live with the fact that the tree bulbs will be a bit short lived. Sounds like you wouldn't shed a tear if it popped before the new year & it would be a useful education for your daughter in the what-do-you-expect-for-a-quid rules of life ;-)

The plugin would be safer too, no open slots.

Reply to
fred

Or until you jumper the correct 2 wires on the PSU. I forget which two - they are next to each other on the plug though.

And IME, most PSUs work just fine with no load on 5V. YPSUMV.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

As long as it's AT rather than ATX it should work fine. Otherwise some fiddling will be required.

Reply to
Rob Morley