This is a two cylinder, water cooled unit with a starting motor wiich is powered by a standard U1 12 volt SLA battery.
My battery was dead (over 10 years old) so I used jumper cables to get it started. In an attempt to replace the battery I inadvertently picked up a U1R battery. When home I realized this was a reversed pole battery like what I have in one of my cars. So, all things being equal, I rotated the batt 180 degrees and it mounted fine.
After hookup and turning on the key all the normal lights illuminated and a further turn spun the starter motor and the unit started right up. Great!!! However, within a few minutes the generator started surging and making stange noises so I shut it down.
As nothing else had changed, I replaced the batt with the old one, used the jumpers to start the gen and then it ran smoothly.
So, can someone please explain what might have happened? Oh, and as the gen was connected to my house circuits I literally burned up my DVR box, my electronic clothes washer, a game cube power supply and my computers' UPS and both my garage door openers..
I'd be very interested to know why this happened. And yes, the red cable was connected to the + terminal and the black to the unmarked terminal.
Thanks for any comments.
ps: Ed P in Putnam - how did you fare in the storm?