My Generac Megaforce 6500 generator has no output

I wonder if any of you nice people wouldn't mind giving a grandpa in California a helping hand, as far as starting to check why my generator doesn't have any output all of a sudden. The engine runs, but no joy as far as electricity. I tried several items, just in case one electrical item was bad. I pushed all the reset buttons on the panel, but nothing works. Is there a hidden reset anywhere? I hate to take it to the dealer, I'm afraid they may tell me I need a new one. Please, I mean no insult to the service people, all I want is to check first.......The unit I have is a Generac Megaforce 6500 --1006-1......Peter

Reply to
PeterM

Was it let sit and not run for 6 months then likely the gen has lost residual magnetism and Flashing the field is necessary, if you are handy and comfortable jumping the gen head with the motor running I can look for the manual, otherwise get a pro to do it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Oh my God, it is just the way you described it.......I will never do it again, not starting it every week or so. It has been a while since I have started it, except for today. First pull, it started right away, but no juice. I have the owners manual, but it does not mention what you described as jumping the head. If there is a manual to get that tells me how to do it, like a shop manual, please get it for me, I can send you money in advance for any cost and naturally shipping etc. I am so excited, because my gut tells me you are right on..........Peter

Reply to
PeterM

I just looked up some words you used, and found a device on Ebay, 30.- that is used to flash generators.......Is that something you were talking about, it looked like a flashlight with a 3 prong plug at the end........Peter

Reply to
PeterM

Peter:

Here's another one currently for sale on e-bay:

Looks good, I'm going to get one myself.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Here is the way Coleman does it, should be the same.

EXCITING THE GENERATOR: NOTE: If your generator is a brushless unit, please contact your local service center or the COLEMAN® POWERMATE® Product Service Department for assistance with exciting your generator. If there is a loss of residual magnetism (voltage will not build up), it may be necessary to re-excite the unit.

  1. Use a 6-volt lantern battery (dry cell) or a 12-volt automotive battery.
  2. Disconnect all loads from generator.
  3. Remove the brush cover.
  4. Plug a lamp or light into the generator before starting the engine. The light source will illuminate when voltage has returned.
  5. Start the engine with no load connected to the generator.
  6. Attach the "-" lead of the battery to the negative brush. Very briefly, touch the "+" lead of the battery to the positive brush as shown. Remove as soon as voltage builds up. To measure voltage, use a plug-in voltmeter.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Dont buy anything , there is nothing to buy, you simply hook a cable to a positive terminal on a battery then the positive brush on the gen head, while it is running for a second or 3, what I need my literature for is to tell you which one is positive and if you need + and -, Generac has an 800# but the rep probably wont tell you anything, or google " Flashing a gen" but I will look through my mess. You dont need to start it every week or month, but 6 mo is max, Geez, I havnt started my Generac 7500 in 9 months, I hope its OK. My fax is broke but I may have it stored on E mail if your address is correct.

Reply to
m Ransley

Right Ralph, but be sure you find a marked + brush, or your polarity is reversed.

Reply to
m Ransley

I looked at that E bay thing, If it worked why wouldnt Generac just say to plug in 12v into the socket. Good idea if it works, but does it work.

Reply to
m Ransley

Just starting the generator is not sufficient....make sure that you put a load on it!

Reply to
volts500

That is true without any load running it wont magnetise the gen, 100 watts is all you need for 5 minutes to get you by another 6 months.

Reply to
m Ransley