Replace Dyson DC05 Cable/Cord

I see through Google that there have been several requests for advice on opening the Dyson DC05 to replace old power cords, but have not seen any replies with advice. Does anyone know how to get into the Dyson DC05 to do this work? Without guidance it's probably risky just to guess whether any plastic trim needs aggressive removal to reveal screw closure fixings.

Advice appreciated.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Since someone who calls himself sponix recently wrote

I'd be inclined to contact Dyson first. I must say I have always found their after-sales service (and indeed the machine) excellent.

Douglas de Lacey.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

AOL:-)

A gentleman from their service dept. explained how to remove the *start* button on our DC04. This gives access to the switch and cable terminations. There is a plastic *barb*projecting away from the flat side which retains the button after assembly. You need to insert something between the barb and latch such that the button can be pulled gently free. I made up a flat probe but a suitable feeler gauge might do.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to the DC05:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If it's like the DC01, you just wedge a knife down the side of the button and with a bit of force, it comes out. It has a couple of projections, one on each side, which locate into holes in the casing. geoff

Reply to
Geoff Norfolk

Have a look here :-

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for the various replies which mainly covered the DC01 and DC04 upright models or made suggestions on approaching Dyson (who refuse to give advice about electrical matters on the not unreasonable grounds that it may lead users frying themselves or others).

The DC05, the cord of which I now need to replace, is one of the more squat "cylinder" models, not unlike the DC08 and DC11.

Thanks for advice from anyone who has gained access to the cord drum of a DC05/08/11 without causing permanent structural or cosmetic damage.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

In article , Geoff Norfolk writes

Please don't top post.

That's to get the button out on the DC01, which won't help witha broken cord. To get at the electrical connections, you need to unclip the upper part of the cyclone assembly (the one carrying the cone) from the main body of the cleaner. This will reveal a small plastic panel underneath the power button. Remove the single screw and lift out the panel to reveal the cord/switch connections.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There are five retaining screws - first is easy and visible in the body and the others are the same size [allan key 2.5] and inside the wheel housing- I needed to get in to look at the motor and was fairly brutal but it worked - I [aggressively] removed the coloured centre plugs from the wheels and then levered the wheels off [took a fair bit of brute strength which I focused on the axle area - and I feel I was quite lucky not to break anything. - The wheels are fairly flexible so that you can probably get enough access to undo the screws without popping the wheels. Once in the rest is self obvious. Best of luck,

Bruce