dyson dc05 powerhead

Is anyone familiar with the workings of the powerhead of one of these vacuum cleaners. My powerhead has stopped working, A search shows there are issues with the switch in the handle which I suspect but I just wonder how to power the head to see if it works. There are two pins to power it but I suspect it is capacitor coupled as a resistance test shows no continuity.

I am not confident to feed 240V ac across the pins without knowing if that is all that powers it.

Reply to
ajh

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, ajh snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk> writes

Can you not measure the voltage from the feed side? Capacitor coupling sounds a bit unlikely for a domestic cleaner.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd guess it's low voltage DC or AC: would be hard to manage 240Vac safely without being careful about insulation etc. Maybe there's an AC transformer?

Taking apart the body and bypassing the switch would tell you.

The cordless Dysons are about 20V DC and I think they send that directly to the motorhead.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yeah but it would drop the voltage if the powerhead is a small motor

Reply to
ajh

I was wondering if it was a lower voltage universal motor and the capacitor was the voltage dropper. I dislike dysons but the powerhead is good for getting dog hair off carpets for which the Henry fails.

Reply to
ajh

Later motorhead Dysons use mains voltage motors, possibly dc, don't know about the 05.

Reply to
Animal

If O/C then perhaps the cabling down the hose to the motor unit is U/S?

Reply to
Fredxx

I checked the resistance across the two pins on the motorhead

Reply to
ajh

manchestervacs have a forum for dysons, but to ask on that

--

Reply to
Mark

Any good?

This looks like a low voltage DC motor. The most compact motor would be a DC motor so there should be continuity at the motor. Your measurement suggests a failed motor or wire in the head unit.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's the V6, which is a cordless vac. 21.6v battery which they send to the motorhead. The OP's is a mains vac. I can't seem to find any videos of the strip down of a mains motorhead.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks Theo, neither could I. I can't find anyone with the same dc05 that we could check their motorhead for continuity on. I'm loathe to throw it away when the main motor works.

Reply to
ajh

Done but I guess no one will vet my application as no response received.

Reply to
ajh

Doesn't the motor have a nameplate rating on it ?

The details of the motor will give you some idea how simple the rest of the assembly is (contents of "switch area"). Who knows, it might even have a fuse.

There are actually two motors as potential candidates inside.

"How to replace the Dyson motor on a Dyson DC05 vacuum cleaner"

Since the wires are colour-coded, this implies some sort of DC. While the motor labeling was not featured in the video (no zoom-in on the label printed on the motor), you might be able to see it when taking yours apart.

The motor also has impressively large brush holder cans on the side of the commutator. You can check those to see if one brush suffered excessive wear and the carbon thingy is gone.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

These are the main fan motors, the one I am asking about is the small motor that powers the rotating brush in the head.

Reply to
ajh

I had another go, got better results searching 'brush motor' or 'brush roll motor' not 'motorhead'. This is the DC25 and apparently the motor takes 320-330v DC!

There is electronics in the head which looks like it's maybe rectifying mains. I would take it apart and see what's inside the brushroll. Another teardown video for the DC25, maybe there's something useful for the DC05?
Theo

Reply to
Theo

I know nothing about Dysons, but is it possible to spin the motor and attach the meter set to volts? If it measures a voltage, you've got a connection.

Reply to
Steve

DC05 ? does that one have a elec motor powered head?

Reply to
Mark

It's hard to find a picture of the whole appliance.

There is a spinny bit in this picture.

"Dyson DC05 Turbo / Turbine Floor Head Tear Down and Clean"

So that one uses a passive propulsion system. A turbine uses the vacuum stream, as a source of motive power. No electrical connections required. Examination of the hose and lack of separate power conductors to the head, is evidence of the type.

An accessory head would not work, unless there was a power takeoff point somewhere on the exterior of the unit.

Doing a passive head, means a replacement unit should be... dirt-cheap. The asking price seems a bit high (and it is out of stock of course).

I don't think the replacement gubbins on my vac, for the spinny bit, cost nearly that much. And it's the nylon brush that gets beat up on that one, and as part of a kit there is a new belt and spinny bit. The motor doesn't normally need service.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Your observations are of no use to the OP who clearly has the motorhead version of the DC05.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+