Anyone familiar with Junipers?

Hailing from Southern California (Zone 10). We have a long row of Gold Coast Junipers, about 25 years old. Last year we had a deep freeze that damaged a lot of plants in our garden.

When our Junipers turned brown and started to die shortly afterwards (spring

2007) we attributed the malaise to the severe cold. However, this did not really make sense because Junipers can stand all but arctic cold.

Looking at the following photos, can someone guess what is really ailing these junipers? I looked for borer holes and spider webs but did not find any.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

?pic=30u9vg1&s=3
?pic=anc1vm&s=3

Reply to