Anyone Familiar with Amsco or Milgard Brand Windows?

Does anyone have any experience with Milgard or Amsco brand windows. I do believe these both are regional for the West.

I am thinking of having my old single pane windows replaced with vinyl dual pane retrofit windows.

Around here, almost every company uses the Milgard. Amsco gives their dealers large exclusive areas, so there is only one company that uses Amsco. Actually, I had never heard of either of these companies, but the Amsco is hard to get a grasp on because of just one company using it.

The Amsco is a little less price wise and I like the contractor's method of installation. However, I just don't know anything about Amsco and was hoping someone here does.

Basically, for my price range, the only choices are Milgard or Amsco. If you are familiar with these companies, which would you go with?

John

Reply to
John Ross

Last year in late spring I had all of my windows and sliding door replaced with Milgard brand. My only regret was not having done it years sooner. In July we had a terrific heat wave and I really noticed the difference in heat build-up. Well worth the cost, at least for me.

This winter we had some record cold and again the insulation was very noticable. Helps to keep the heating bill down especially in a house built in the early 50's.

I got six quotes and finally went with a local GC who had some good references. He worked alone and thus it took three days as opposed to the one day that most larger outfits quoted.

The screen for the patio slider had a tear when delivered and the contractor called the Milgard factory. A tech was out in a few days and replaced the slider. No hastle or paper work.

I found the Milgard website full of useful info and that helped me go for their product.

Harry

John Ross wrote:

Reply to
Harry Avant

Thanks Harry. Did any of those contractors mention Amsco?

Also, I am just as interested in noise reduction as insulation. Did you notice any reduction of noise with the new windows? If so, how significant was it?

John

Reply to
John Ross

The noise reduction was very noticeable. Again look at the vendor's web sites. They have data for noise reduction.

The other make wasn't mentioned since I had talked to a few people with the Milgards and compared them on-line with some other brands. I went for Milgards based to positive experiance others I know had with the brand. Key is the installation. If it's no done right could be a mess and lots of air leaks.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Avant

replying to John Ross, Eric wrote: Not Millgard they are rotten! Have had the worst time ever dealing with them!

Reply to
Eric