windows .... everest vs anglian?

We're having new windows put in to our house. I've narrowed down the choice to either Everest or Anglian. They are comparable in products and cost.
Is there anything wrong with either of these two companies? Is one generally preferable to the other?
Advice, please.

Well, they're pretty well match when it comes to giving ridiculously over-inflated quotes and using hard sell techniques I believe.
I've only once let an Everest salesman through my door. Never again.
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

On 29/04/16 15:13, Tim+ wrote:

The real question should be 'is there anything right with either of these two companies?'
And the short answer is of course 'no'.
private property.
On Friday, 29 April 2016 15:16:42 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Go to a small local window company if you're not diying. Any company that advertises heavily will charge more, it's inevitable, and normally it's way more. How else do you think they can afford to open 100+ branches.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And if you are DIYing, give these a look ...
<http://windowsanddoors.co.uk

We got quotes from two other firms, one a reputable local company. The numbers were all in the same ball-park.
I have nothing against employing Anglian or Everest, it's whether they do a good job, apart from the sales pitch.
in 1480227 20160429 152746 snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote:

Everest quoted me over £8000 to replace our French doors, "but with our promotional discounts we can reduce that to £5500". I went to an outfit on the local trading estate who did an excellent job for £1400.
On Friday, 29 April 2016 15:16:42 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

I've had both through my door, the Anglian when asked decided to prove his windows were better by dropping a demo window on the floor waking and scari ng my cat!, he said that Anglian windoes don't go yellow with age (the plas tic) he kept going on about how bad other installers were. He worked out a price and handed me the paper to sign, and I said I only asked you for a q uote why do I need to sign anything. I made sure he saw my eyes go towards the floor under the video where I had a webcam recording the event he saw the flashing LED'. Within a few minites he'd packed up and left grabbing his paperwork and mum bling and headed off, quicker than he arrived, and I thought nothing coul d travel faster than the speed of light ;-).
The Everest bloke was quite differnt he still had the fred moult guy on his laptop measered up went through all the options it was very expensive and I wasn;t impressed so he came up with a few discounts for paying and agrein g to let them film the in stallation and another discount to put a board up outside. I even offered to film for him and showed him my youtube vid that was shown in the USA TV animal planet. He also saw the flashing LED but it didn't se em to bother him.
Another local firm indian/asian asked me where I lived and said all the w indows are the same in that area , we don;t need to come and measure it wil l be about £200 per window. Everest were near £1000. Even I measured t he windows as being slightly differnt in size, and I told him he said OK an d made an appointment to come and measure, he never turned up.
So decided to go with everest, who then sent a surveyor to measure up the w indows, he measured in 3 places took his time over it and double checked. Everest also said they take out all the old box wood that sash windows have and that they fill any gaps with expanding foam something Anglia never ment ioned or even commented on.
The installers were quick and effienct for the most part. One piece they supplied had a bit of a scratch and dent asn they said we ar en't installing that's it's damaged is it OK if we just put teh filler in a nd retun the next day with the replacement part which was OK by me. But for others mightnhave meant taking another day off work.
Although still expensive I was pleased with the work and the workman 2 of t hem just got on and did the job, didn;t even hear any bad langauge or ladis h behavour and left the place clean and tidy.
No one turned up to film and no advertising boards appeared but I still got the discounts. They took all the old windows and crap with them in the van , I think I had to arrange for a skip with Anglian who really just contract out to any window installer I think.
I hope you told them in advance that you will be filming or at least asked their permission on the day.
Why is anyone considering either of these outfits?
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk
All double glazing is a bit of a lottery, as the actual products mostly are very good now, its the contractors who put them in who are often the problem. Brian
--
----- --
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 11:29:11 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:

That may be true, but...
I remember rejecting Anglia on the basis of a shoddy installation. In their showroom.

We rejected them (and Everest) on the basis of their sales techniques and the poor range of offerings.
Much better to find five or so local outfits, visit them all, select the three with whom you feel most comfortable to come and measure up and quote.
Anyone seeking such improvements to their home should also do their homework, too.
--
Lady Astor: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."
On 01/01/2020 14:06, Tim Streater wrote:

I too rejected one DG firm based on their sales method. Quote a high price, then offer a discount if I signed within 24 hours followed by daily phone calls sometimes offering further discounts. I also had some negative selling where the salesman slags off the competition.

I was lucky, unbeknown to me my next door neighbour had employed a local DG company the day I started looking for quotes. As my house is almost identical to theirs I had a chance to watch them working and fully inspect the finished product before I committed myself to employ the same fensa accredited company.
With the bigger outfits you initially see a salesman who often just does a rough measurement and shows the catalogues - perhaps with a few representative samples. The detailed order comes after you have accepted the quote when a "surveyor" does the real measurements and details which glass/pattern/door furniture options. I got the impression that the big outfits didn't want to waste too much time/money on the initial visit knowing most people would go for 3 quotes especially if you give the impression that you know something about what you are buying.

--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

[Snip]

Following a burglary where my patio door was wrecked, I contacted a firm in the local yellow pages who said they did repairs. Took one look and said can't be repaired, we'll quote for a new one. I said fine, but my insurance company need 3 quotes. No problem, they said, we can deal with that. A few days later I received 3 quotes, all on different headed paper and all in the same envelope. I found another firm who undercut all of their quotes, by a significant margin.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

+1 And its common to find a couple of double glazing vans parked in your local "travellers" site overnight.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

These days its enough to ask before making public. Just like before you had to have a bleep when calls were being recorded, not any more. I record all my calls and simply delete the junk ones. Brian
--
----- --

This was purely because most implementations of recording devices were made for the American market. There was no such rule here.

--

Roger Hayter

I'd like to be since I now do all incoming and outgoing calls on the iphone, its one of the real downsides with iphones, you can't do that easily.
The other thing you can't do easily is tell siri to answer the call when the call comes in when driving around in the car with just the iphone, no hands free kit etc.
And yes, I know that some claim that it is too dangerous to talk to someone on the phone while driving. That’s bullshit. If you can't do that safely in speakerphone mode you shouldn’t be allowed to drive a car at all.

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 11:25:52 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

ad

I hid a camera under my TV when I had double glazing salesman arrive. well hide enough so yuo could just see the LED and can shape from the sofa .
Date ~2006 First around were anglia, all he did was drop the window casing on the carp et to prove how strong it was, and tell me how other companies frames always y ellow after a few years but not theirs. Then go on about a few other 'facts ' and tell me how poor nextdoors windows were, which have been there for 2 0+ years. he then handed me the form to sign to start the process and asking for the deposit. I said I thought you just came to give me a quote I said quite lou dly while staring at my LED/mic (which was an old firewire webcam from my m ac) . He saw it picked up his breifcase threw all his paperwork in it picked up t he demo window from the floor and legged it, he couldn't leave fast enough. It was like he thought I was doing a watchdog rogue traders on him (which i s what I was hoping he'd think). A few months later I got a call from Angli a asking about windows I said no it's OK they've been sorted and that was t he last I heard from them.
A week later Everest called, and their spill was more about the old adverti sing with ted moult, on his laptop he played the ads from the 1970s. I'm su re he must have seem my mic but didn't seemed phased by it, he didn't try t o rubbish other companies other than says there's is the best slogan again from the 70s, he also actually measured the windows before quoting which an glia didn't do. The price was ~5 times what anglia quoted, he applied the usual discounts, then said I could get a further discount if they were allowed to film the instaltion and put up a placard outside which I agreed to even saying "can I film them as I'd like a time-lapse of the install for myself", he didn't comment on m y request. I agreed to the Everest quote and had to pay a 10% deposit with a cheque !
I had a quote from a local glazier company, which was really cheap and they were going to use my measurements and said they didn't need to come and me asure as they knew the sizes of windows in similar properties in the area, I never contacted them again.
2 weeks or so after everest, they sent a surveyer and he actually remeasure d the windows, both top , bottom and middle, he really took time and care of the measuremetns and doubled checked them. He seems like a true pro at h is job. The installers seemed good to, quick and efficient and refused to install a slightly dameged section saying they'll return tomorrow with an undameged section which they did. They also took all the old windows with them and c leaned up. I think with anglia I would have had to arrange for a skip myself too.