windows .... everest vs anglian?

You trust the marketing content of a company website?

Probably not but what precentage of total customers do those reviews represent and what is the precentage of bad reviews?

Why? Small local firm has a reputation to maintain or they'll go out of business as the word gets around. Any guarantee of that duration isn't worth the paper it is written on unless insurance backed, no matter the size of the company. Look at how many apparently succesful big companies have gone bust recently. Anglian and Everest will have spent a lot of money on lawyers writting the small print of the "gaurantee" to minimise any claims. It may even tie you into an annual "maintence check" that has to be done by a a "qualified" entity at £50/window or similar catch...

Define "massively". Ignore any list prices from Anglian/Everest they are just a sales scam. As a guess I'd expect a good local installer to be 20 to 50% below A or E.

Local firm relies on reputation and word of mouth to stay in business. Anglian/Everest spend a fortune on ads... Having has double galzing installed by Anglian and a local firm you really, really, do not want to use Anglian and Everest are in the same camp as far as sales pitch is concerned. I did not like the abusive response I got when I phoned to reject an Everest quote or the follow up calls trying to make me change my mind.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We had someone round a couple of years ago to quote for some blinds. He came up with a price but as soon as I said they were too expensive he was 'able to offer' a 30% reduction 'if you order today'. I told him to go. If he wanted to rip me off to the extent of 30% then he wasn't going to take up any more of my time.

Anglian and Everest had tried the same with me previously and got the same response.

and the point of the home visit is to assess how much you can afford to pay.

Reply to
charles

Had Albion do my windows a few years ago - afraid I could not recommend them appalling job when i complained it turned out the installer had been made customer relations/ supervisor - lot of help that was going to be !

Ended up short paying them

Regards,

Moansalot

snipped-for-privacy@> The local guy is;

Everest subcontract. That means it /is/ a local guy fitting your windows, just you pay for the salesman and head office to waste your time. That subcontractor is being paid a lot less.

Have you asked more than one local guy? There's likely to be a range in pricing, and I would guess the one you have is at the top end.

My ballpark is a factor of 2 between Everest's initial quote and 'best' price, and then 30% off down to the lowest 'local guy'.

Theo

Reply to
moansalot2

And to measure.

I don't provide measurements for anything. That way, if it doesn't fit, it's their fault not mine.

replying to invalid, 0207 wrote: Anglian Windows is the most unscrupulous firm ever! Avoid at all cost

Reply to
0207

April 2016 - he's probably decided already.

Homeowners Hub - hijacking content from USENET since gawd knows when...

Reply to
Tim Watts

One could say something similar of the website you're using.

Reply to
tabbypurr

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I hope you told them in advance that you will be filming or at least asked their permission on the day.

Reply to
franz.schinagl

Why is anyone considering either of these outfits?

Reply to
Tim Streater

These days its enough to ask before making public. Just like before you had to have a bleep when calls were being recorded, not any more. I record all my calls and simply delete the junk ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

All double glazing is a bit of a lottery, as the actual products mostly are very good now, its the contractors who put them in who are often the problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

That may be true, but...

I remember rejecting Anglia on the basis of a shoddy installation. In their showroom.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This was purely because most implementations of recording devices were made for the American market. There was no such rule here.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

We rejected them (and Everest) on the basis of their sales techniques and the poor range of offerings.

Much better to find five or so local outfits, visit them all, select the three with whom you feel most comfortable to come and measure up and quote.

Anyone seeking such improvements to their home should also do their homework, too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1 And its common to find a couple of double glazing vans parked in your local "travellers" site overnight.
Reply to
alan_m

I too rejected one DG firm based on their sales method. Quote a high price, then offer a discount if I signed within 24 hours followed by daily phone calls sometimes offering further discounts. I also had some negative selling where the salesman slags off the competition.

I was lucky, unbeknown to me my next door neighbour had employed a local DG company the day I started looking for quotes. As my house is almost identical to theirs I had a chance to watch them working and fully inspect the finished product before I committed myself to employ the same fensa accredited company.

With the bigger outfits you initially see a salesman who often just does a rough measurement and shows the catalogues - perhaps with a few representative samples. The detailed order comes after you have accepted the quote when a "surveyor" does the real measurements and details which glass/pattern/door furniture options. I got the impression that the big outfits didn't want to waste too much time/money on the initial visit knowing most people would go for 3 quotes especially if you give the impression that you know something about what you are buying.

Reply to
alan_m
[Snip]

Following a burglary where my patio door was wrecked, I contacted a firm in the local yellow pages who said they did repairs. Took one look and said can't be repaired, we'll quote for a new one. I said fine, but my insurance company need 3 quotes. No problem, they said, we can deal with that. A few days later I received 3 quotes, all on different headed paper and all in the same envelope. I found another firm who undercut all of their quotes, by a significant margin.

Reply to
charles

I hid a camera under my TV when I had double glazing salesman arrive. well hide enough so yuo could just see the LED and can shape from the sofa.

Date ~2006 First around were anglia, all he did was drop the window casing on the carpet to prove how strong it was, and tell me how other companies frames always yellow after a few years but not theirs. Then go on about a few other 'facts' and tell me how poor nextdoors windows were, which have been there for 20+ years. he then handed me the form to sign to start the process and asking for the deposit. I said I thought you just came to give me a quote I said quite loudly while staring at my LED/mic (which was an old firewire webcam from my mac) . He saw it picked up his breifcase threw all his paperwork in it picked up the demo window from the floor and legged it, he couldn't leave fast enough. It was like he thought I was doing a watchdog rogue traders on him (which is what I was hoping he'd think). A few months later I got a call from Anglia asking about windows I said no it's OK they've been sorted and that was the last I heard from them.

A week later Everest called, and their spill was more about the old advertising with ted moult, on his laptop he played the ads from the 1970s. I'm sure he must have seem my mic but didn't seemed phased by it, he didn't try to rubbish other companies other than says there's is the best slogan again from the 70s, he also actually measured the windows before quoting which anglia didn't do. The price was ~5 times what anglia quoted, he applied the usual discounts, then said I could get a further discount if they were allowed to film the instaltion and put up a placard outside which I agreed to even saying "can I film them as I'd like a time-lapse of the install for myself", he didn't comment on my request. I agreed to the Everest quote and had to pay a 10% deposit with a cheque !

I had a quote from a local glazier company, which was really cheap and they were going to use my measurements and said they didn't need to come and measure as they knew the sizes of windows in similar properties in the area, I never contacted them again.

2 weeks or so after everest, they sent a surveyer and he actually remeasured the windows, both top , bottom and middle, he really took time and care of the measuremetns and doubled checked them. He seems like a true pro at his job. The installers seemed good to, quick and efficient and refused to install a slightly dameged section saying they'll return tomorrow with an undameged section which they did. They also took all the old windows with them and cleaned up. I think with anglia I would have had to arrange for a skip myself too.
Reply to
whisky-dave